Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d]Floors can be built diagonally, but only if they could be built adjacently  (Read 684 times)

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm noticing the following behavior in my megaproject:

Code: [Select]
.X++
..D+

.: Open space,
+: Floor,
X: Floor building designation,
D: Dwarf.

The dwarf is building the floor diagonally north-west of it.  Not that it matters, but it's standing on a floor.  I commonly see dwarves build floors diagonally like this.

Meanwhile, dwarves will not build floors diagonally in this example:

Code: [Select]
==+==
XX=XX

=: Wall,
+: Floor,
X: Floor building designation.

The dwarves will not stand on the floor tile in row one to build the diagonally-connected designations in row 2.  This is really frustrating to me because the dwarves can, but won't build in this condition, and what it means is that I'll have to deconstruct one of those walls, replace it with a floor, deconstruct the floor later, then reconstruct the wall.

I'm not sure if this is intended or not, but it seems to me like odd behavior that causes unnecessary micromanagement.

((Editted to make correction pointed out below))
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 09:07:45 pm by KenboCalrissian »
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I see them build diagonally all the time when I designate huge swathes for  my megaconstruction.  I know that there aren't "things in the way" as I'm building over open air.  They just do it.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, saw this happening today while I was playing.  I was hoping to come back and correct it before anyone noticed  :-[

They still don't build if they can't stand adjacent to it though.
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils