Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Engravable notes?  (Read 1064 times)

Blue Eagle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Engravable notes?
« on: July 01, 2007, 06:03:00 pm »

It would be nice if we had a way to label things. Say there's a patch of smoothed rock near a lever. You could order the engraving and type what you wanted it to say.
Alternatively, you could construct a standing stone tablet with the typed message on it.
You could limit the message to so many characters to balance it a bit.

You would read it with the "k" examine.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Engravable notes?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 06:29:00 pm »

Hehe someone already suggested this already but it's still a pretty good idea.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 04:08:00 am »

Suggested what? AFAIK this is the 16th label suggestion, my stone tablet idea was actualy original back then.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Blue Eagle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 04:11:00 am »

Well, on the bright side, at least it's more likely this will be implemented, then.

Sorry for the fuss.

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
  • I once saw a baby ghost...but it was just a tissue
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 10:08:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Blue Eagle:
[QB]Well, on the bright side, at least it's more likely this will be implemented, then.

[QB]

Agreed!

Dreamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 05:01:00 pm »

Old ideas need to refreshed from time to time, in order to make others that are new to the game (Such as myself) aware of it, or if anything simply to show the Toady One that it's something else to consider (Once he has time).

I think it's a good idea, though - It might be fun and incredibly useful to write on many objects, such as weapons and furniture, though it might take some of the mystery behind pulling a lever away, and add some incentive to find another way of identifying levers.

The question is whether there will be a particular skill assigned to it or not (Engraving for hard things, clothesmaking for cloth objects), or if it'll just be a 'peasant' skill.

▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲/
◄Nothing Beats Menacing►
/▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼\

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 12:35:00 pm »

An adventurer is exploring a fortress, and comes across a lever labelled, "This lever is to water the garden." The adventurer pulls the lever. He hears a gurgling behind him. The water begins to rise around his feet... Little too late, he realizes it was a trap!

I think labelling is good. Still won't make me feel free to pull any lever. I know I would specifically do this if I knew other people would be adventuring here.

Jothki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2007, 01:10:00 pm »

This seems like it would be a good use for a noble. I was originally thinking about suggesting an Archivist who would give you control over which events get engraved (no more screaming dogs) in return for demanding that a certain portion of the fortress be engraved, but that could easily be expanded to custom engravings as well.

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007, 03:25:00 pm »

I know it's been suggested a lot but that's because it's a good idea.  :) I have various levers that do various bad things to various parts of the fortress, and sometimes it's hard to keep them all straight, especially if I've been too busy to play for a few days. A label would help immensely.

Hellzon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2007, 07:11:00 am »

It'd also work great for succession games.