Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH CLAY?!?!?  (Read 1654 times)

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH CLAY?!?!?
« on: October 28, 2006, 04:28:00 pm »

This is material i realy like but it doesn't exist in DF. clay is just like sand almost infinite. i would really like making clay boulder fall trap. i guess that clay exist in every country/city/village/every other place. i would also like making clay blocks in masonry.

Angela Christine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH CLAY?!?!?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2006, 01:31:00 am »

And ceramic might even be better than steel for items built around the magma.  Steel melts, ceramic just gets harder (to a point, anyway).

Several years ago a friend's house burnt down.  They lived out of town where there was no fire department coverage just neighbours with garden hoses so it burnt right down to the foundation and smoldered HOT for a couple of days.  The only things relatively intact were a ceramic mug, a couple porcelain ornaments, the bricks from the fireplace, and the concrete foundation.  The glazes were a little crazed and discolored, but you could totally still drink out of the mug.

Clay made into blocks/bricks could be very useful.

[ October 29, 2006: Message edited by: Angela Christine ]

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006, 01:16:00 am »

I love clay too (in r/l) but given dwarves are masters of stoneworking, it might stand to reason that they never developed a pottery culture.  Much like they don't know the first thing about farming outdoors.

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 02:28:00 pm »

but when a human town mode will be in DF im going to really don't know how to get materials for houses (well of course if there would be clay then materials would be not much problem)

Seryntas

• Bay Watcher
  • has created a masterpiece!
    • View Profile
    • RPGWW Forums
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 04:38:00 pm »

Of course human town mode will need clay, to make bricks.  Dwarves don't need bricks, so clay isn't a priority.
"Nectar and ambrosia are all the gods are allowed to eat in Greek mythology. In that way they're kind of like pandas. You know, in diet. From there the similarities break down." -my Greek Lit TA