Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A river challenge  (Read 628 times)

Fisherdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A river challenge
« on: October 09, 2009, 09:18:34 pm »

Hello, everyone, I'm new to these forums, so sorry if I say or do anything kinda newbish.

Anyway, I came up with an interesting fort/megaproject to try out. It might not work, I haven't tried it yet but as I am posting this i'm starting a new game.
First, you need to find a major river, or you can enhance a minor one's size by digging. Then, you must construct your fort over the river.
Yes, over the river. Out of wood. A little area for farming to the side is fine.
I guess the Elves would yell at you for cutting down SO MANY trees, so bring rocks to make mechanisms for drawbridges. After that you will prolly have to trade for rock.

It is okay to make a giant moat so you can still cut trees even when being attacked.

Your military to beat away Elves should be crossbowdwarfs, cause those can be made of wood, and you can have wood ammo.

Rules:
Dont break the aquafier. This is mostly aboveground.
Everything is on the river fort unless it must be outside like farming. (Can you muddy a rock floor and farm it? That could be inside if you bring rock for it.)
Tell me if you can think of anymore good rules.

Bonuses: Build a huge tower in the center!
Aboveground crops only
Make a big fishing Pier
Megabonus: Do the same thing, but with an underground river that you widen. Grow tower caps for wood.

Dameleth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A river challenge
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 09:31:27 pm »

Tried it, takes a bit of patience and I didn't know about mass designation at teh time ._. Tried the the thing over the surface of the lake actually. I think I'll give soemthing like that a try over a river, sounds like fun. Maybe a quarry too from some point to haul out stone to build a castle river town?

Fisherdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 09:35:14 pm »

..A castle river town would be really cool. But I have never seen a big river anywhere near rock so you might have to break the aquafier to do it. This might turn out pretty cool.

Fisherdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 10:26:32 pm »

My starting location is really good, I have both a major and minor river to create some fun defences with. The major river is also right next to a wall to dig into, but i'm only doing that for farming and nothing else.

...Pleasing nobles later on will be really hard.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 11:27:06 pm »

I'm pretty sure constructed WOOD floors can be muddied and then planted on... ;)

And what's hard about pleasing nobles? I mean, you HAVE a river to dump them into, right?
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 11:34:24 pm »

I say put the magma in the middle of a major river, to create a pillar which you can hollow out, and from there dig till you get stone (strictly for quarry purposes). Then never have to have contact with anything outside the river.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2009, 01:08:30 am »

Ya want a SUPER mega bonus?

Make it the town of High Bridge from the Old Kingdom Series by garth nix.

The entire bottom of the map must be 1 huge river, you may expand if necessary. The bridge must be CONSTRUCTED, you may use stone for this, but on the very top it must be wood buildings. You may not use moats/drawbridges for the sides, but you MAY use them as gates provided you make it so it's nearly impossible for them to smash anything.
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

2xMachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2009, 02:16:21 am »

Elf's yelling at you is based on stockpiles. So, since you're using up nearly all you chop, they won't bother you.

Also, I have 1k wood stockpile, and all they do is warn me. Not limit given.