Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pissed Off Traders  (Read 661 times)

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Pissed Off Traders
« on: October 16, 2009, 06:33:23 pm »

Okay, heres my dilemma. All the traders that come to me are very excited to trade and we get down to business fast. Issue is that for some reason, whenever I mark the trade items and ask to trade, they always ask me to throw in one more item that makes me lose a bunch of money. So I decline, and then they leave, saying that they are unhappy/upset. So, next trade comes around, this time, Im ready with a bunch more items to sell. I do the process, and I accept their overpriced stuff. This time, they say "I cant fathom you ending up with all these items." WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU TRADERS?!??!
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Need_More_War!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pissed Off Traders
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 06:56:27 pm »

Traders love ripping there victom buyer (you) off. If they ask for more its not that big a deal, im sure you can afford to overpay a bit, as for the other problem, try trading in smaller parts, they don't like trading more items then there gaining.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 07:03:45 pm »

so if you trade an even (or close to even) amount of items x for x, then they will take it? Doesnt that mean that your really nice items really are useless when trying to buy mass quantities of useful stuff?
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 07:09:06 pm »

No.  You have to give them quite a bit of profit.  Try starting with 50% or so.  Eventually you'll probably have so much stuff to trade that you don't care about being stingy, anyway.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 09:37:05 pm »

My strategy:

-Offer then 2000 for 1000 worth in goods.  They get double profit, they very likely won't ask for more, and their mood changes to Ecstatic.
-While they're ecstatic, they'll be more than happy to go 40/60 on the next trade... then 30/70...
-If you keep doing it in gradual steps, you can get them to around 25/75.  Expect them to make counter-offers along the way if you're progressing too fast, but this is OK.
-When they give you a counter offer, hit Enter to consider it.  Almost always, I can remove half the value of their counter and they'll accept it.

The wiki has answers to a lot of your questions.
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 10:15:06 pm »

Sometimes, when you get that message from the traders, you just have to be persistant.

Keep hitting the 't' button, and your broker will haggle the traders until they accept. Sometimes they'll get angry and leave without a trade, but usually it works.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Strant

• Bay Watcher
  • MagmaMan Carpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 10:26:03 pm »

Yeah, 50% is where you should start from.

However, if you keep using the same broker, he'll get social skills from all the trades and thus will be able to trade better. 

I can now get away with going only slightly over their asking price.  I have so much stuff to trade away that I only both with the elves (so they don't bring only cloth).
You mine sixteen tons, what do you get?
Another day older and deeper in debt

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 11:58:11 pm »

My strategy:

-Offer then 2000 for 1000 worth in goods.  They get double profit, they very likely won't ask for more, and their mood changes to Ecstatic.
-While they're ecstatic, they'll be more than happy to go 40/60 on the next trade... then 30/70...
-If you keep doing it in gradual steps, you can get them to around 25/75.  Expect them to make counter-offers along the way if you're progressing too fast, but this is OK.
-When they give you a counter offer, hit Enter to consider it.  Almost always, I can remove half the value of their counter and they'll accept it.

Lets see if I understand this idea.

So if I offer them a 2 for 1 trade on 100 dwarfbuck item, then 3 for 2 on 100 DB worth of items, then 3 for 7 on 100 DB worth of items, they will be very happy and then I can shaft them with a 1 for 4 trade on 4000 dwarfbucks worth of items?

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2009, 12:10:55 am »

Not exactly.

It's based on their mood - "willing to trade", "excited about trading", etc.

If they're just "willing", they want 2:1.
The next bump up is more than 1.5:1 but less than 2:1.
There's another where they're will to take 1.5:1.
When they're "ecstatic" you can offer them about 1.33:1.

However... it's self-defeating.

A caravan brings "stuff" next year based on their profits from this year. So unless you're short on trade goods, just offer them 2:1 across the board, and call it good.

(Also, if experience is of any interest, each trade gives a small amount of experience to the Trader in a variety of social skills - ~maybe~ 30/trade total.  So trade for single items if you want that.)