Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Make Your Immigrants Start Separate Fortress  (Read 1160 times)

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Make Your Immigrants Start Separate Fortress
« on: October 09, 2009, 07:49:56 pm »

Has anyone tried this?  The original 7 start a fortress, then seal off the entrance before the immigrants come.  Make each wave of new immigrants dig their own fortress and don't let the populations mix.

Only thing is it seems like there are only two possible outcomes in the long run:  either you have to jump around like a madman trying to manage too many different forts at once, or you don't have a problem and things get boring.  Maybe it would be more interesting in a future version when people can form social groups and religions; you could start out with multiple isolated populations for a few years and then forcefully integrate them, and watch hilarity ensue.
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Make Your Immigrants Start Separate Fortress
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 08:18:40 pm »

well, unless you're lucky, I don't think each wave would have the equipment necessary to start it's own fortress that could be sealed off (axe or pick) though each ought to be able to sustain itself fine with farming since no equipment would be required and you can gather plants for your first seeds.

managing the various forts' stocks would be a nightmare, though, since z-stocks would include everything from all sub-forts... on the plus side, only one fort needs to have any one noble... so one bookkeeper in the original or second fort.

You could draft each new wave for long enough that your original miners to dig out a fort for them, or use an airlock to let you miner out, but that's not really in the spirit, is it?

I can't wait to hear a report on the fort founded by an all noble immigrant wave, though >:3
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

SenorOcho

• Bay Watcher
  • Strategy Gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 09:17:35 pm »

I've done it. Embark with a ton of extra picks so you can dig with every new group.  Also be careful if your sealed forts have access to open air, because the kobolds WILL come in force after stealing the first 10 picks or so.
Things to keep in mind:
- Immigrants don't come with food. Make sure you embark somewhere with plant life, and every new fort has an outdoor area for harvesting/outdoor farming. Even then you're gonna have starvation in particularly big migrant waves.
- Barrels and booze will be an issue. Either embark with a crapton of wood and take a bit to each new fortress as you build it (remember to disallow barrels from the other food stockpiles) or just run the new ones sober for extra craptacularness.
- THE KOBOLDS!  Not kidding, you'll be using channels to block your fortress off until you can get a wall or something built... and the kobolds will come in numbers, with crossbows...

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 10:39:14 pm »

Not done one quite like this, but I am planning a community fortress where the starting 7 seal themselves off, and all the other immigrants irrespective of which wave they come in run the fort that I'll tell everyone about...
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 12:51:59 am »

Not done one quite like this, but I am planning a community fortress where the starting 7 seal themselves off, and all the other immigrants irrespective of which wave they come in run the fort that I'll tell everyone about...

Oh that was subtle but I got it.  LMAO

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 01:00:27 am »

you cant use "seal themselves off" and "immagrants" in the same paragraph.  Because once you are sealed off you SHOULD be getting no immagrants.  "sealed off" means NO CONTACT with anyone of the outside world  Being that caravans diplomats and immagrants.

I suggest we build a huge magma lake above ground *wall off most of the map put some doors at 2 wide entrances and fill it with magma* And inside teh cetner of it being teh entrance to the fort.. You want us? Come and get us *what do you mean temps turned off?*

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2009, 01:09:27 am »

you could use dump zones to drop stuff down from the starting 7 or whatever to supply newcomers.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2009, 01:14:19 am »

Or you could just build stockpiles on the surface for 'supplies' the new dwarfs will need.  And then dig your starting seven a nice little recluse.  After the dwarfs are sorted you can send whoever you need to outside to stock the supply pile for the next wave and so on.

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2009, 01:33:35 am »

you could use dump zones to drop stuff down from the starting 7 or whatever to supply newcomers.

Off Topic:  That makes me think that for an above ground fort you could build workshops where the output of one is the input to the other as towers with each workshop on a floor above the last.  On the roof would be a temporary stockpile and a dump zone.  Whenever the temporary stockpile fills up you just chuck everything off the side of the roof instead of carrying it downstairs.

Better yet have a channel running past all the towers where the crap lands, and periodically let out some water to flush all the items in the channel to pile up on a grate at the drain.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 01:36:08 am by denito »

Tryptic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2009, 08:35:11 am »

Is that a Foundation reference?

I think I may snag this idea.  (Though, at the moment, I'm mostly working with 40-ish dorfs, so it may be slow going.)

Design a small airlock, that allows me to put 1 pick, 1 axe, 20 wood, 20 booze and 20 food in it, and let the immigrants unseal it when they arrive.
Not allow the starting 7 any metal.  All of it gets dumped into the other fort.  Put the dump zone at the top of the "real" fort. 
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 08:37:46 am by Tryptic »

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2009, 11:17:43 am »

Idea.

Dwarven merchants. Your starting seven make a small place for themselves, and effectively release essential supplies (like picks and axes and stuff) by using levers, in exchange for supplies (food + booze) and then use the rest of them to make the fort.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2009, 11:33:24 am »

Has anyone thought of making a sort of airlock for these things?

Either 2 floodgates be used, or a stairway setup that is locked by a built wall or fortification. That's how I usually envision such projects. Especially when walled off. And there can be a community trade depot setup somewhere (suspended by a bridge connected individually by drawbridge, so separate forts can meet up at it, but not mix together. You can always exchange the traders/bookkeepers depending on which fort's doing what. (using the Noble/administrator key, of course)

Alternative is having ramps covered by drawbridges to serve as airlocks instead, with seperate trade depots inside individual forts to minimize risk.

But then comes another idea with that (I think it was mentioned in a different thread); a trade center between forts, utilizing an in/out system that items can be transferred, but not dwarves. This again, may use drawbridges. Kinda like double-horseshoe design  to work like a a chain link design when merged together... ish. We can consider the passages or fortifications to be a way of necessary communication.

Idea.

Dwarven merchants. Your starting seven make a small place for themselves, and effectively release essential supplies (like picks and axes and stuff) by using levers, in exchange for supplies (food + booze) and then use the rest of them to make the fort.
That's also a good idea to mix with it. Have the "Central Ceven" serve as processers, and the outer communities serve as raw material providers. The CC can also serve as liasions/trade masters when it comes to trade seasons.

Rewards for good work is based on performance. Like extra useful goods and such. More food, or higher quality goods. Or even a visiting master-engraver to snazz up quarters or something.

Okay, I gotta try this. I'll need an adequate location first though. I think my computer can handle a large enough location to work with. But to make work easier, I might have to pre-mine/build some areas to make the new forts easier to establish.

I guess we can work on modular construction, like "DORFS... IN... SPAAAAACCCEEEE!!!!!!" Style. Think X-Com as well with base construction if you may as well.

Heh, Megaproject Idea: Replicate X-Com's base design methods. Use this for reference when building the "facilities". This could get interesting the dwarven equvalents.

I might start a new thread in regards to this. It sounds interesting enough. Where should I put the thread?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 11:43:07 am by Itnetlolor »