Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Farming issues  (Read 495 times)

Iverum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Farming issues
« on: October 09, 2009, 06:09:13 pm »

This may be a simple question to answer, but I don't really know what to do. This has forced me to restart twice so far, and I don't want to do it again and hope.

My dwarves will not farm. I have two proficient growers. One of them is set to only have the farmer labor active. That is the only labor allowed for her. However, none of the dwarves will go to the farm. The farm is one level down from the main areas of the fortress and the main farming dwarf stays in the meeting hall. How do I make any of them go plant? I have the seeds. I have over 75 of them. I have set the farm for every season to be plump helmets. I have changed it to another plant that I have seeds for. Nothing seems to make them plant.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Farming issues
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 06:29:21 pm »

Can any OTHER dwarves get down there?  I suspect that there is somehow no longer a path to those farms.  Alternately, can any dwarves get to where the seeds are?

Iverum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 06:32:20 pm »

Yes. After I built the farm I sent a few dwarves down there to move the seeds to a stockpile closer to the farm. So, yes, dwarves can get down there.

EDIT:

By after I mean after a season had passed and no dwarf had planted anything.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 06:58:01 pm by Iverum »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 07:27:50 pm »

I'm going to assume that the seeds are for the right plant (i.e. you have plump helmet spawn), but is it possible the seeds somehow got forbidden?
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Iverum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 07:39:59 pm »

I have checked. The seeds are not forbidden. I turned them forbidden and then claimed them again just to be sure.

Chewykittens

• Bay Watcher
  • Never befor has the letter "c" been so appetizing
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 07:57:33 pm »

nvm

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 08:23:33 pm »

out of curiosity, are you sure you set what you want the farm to grow for the current season? do you have seeds for the plant you want grown for the current season?

I always forget to set what plant to grow and come back a season later to realize I'm nearly out of food or booze.
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Iverum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 08:26:47 pm »

As far as I know yes. To set the plant you want to grow you highlight the plant and press the key for the season you want it to be grown in, correct? I have over 100 seeds now of the plant I want to grow.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 08:33:56 pm »

Incorrect.  You press the season key and THEN choose the plant with +/- and enter.  However, it starts on the current season, so you probably would have managed to set the plant anyway (unless you neglected to press enter).  The text of the plant will be in white instead of gray if it's selected.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 08:38:17 pm by Malicus »

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009, 08:36:25 pm »

As far as I know yes. To set the plant you want to grow you highlight the plant and press the key for the season you want it to be grown in, correct? I have over 100 seeds now of the plant I want to grow.

You select the season ('a' for Spring, and so on), highlight the seed with the plus/minus keys, and then press enter.  You should see the seed type highlight. 

Just to reiterate, you want to verify all of the following:

1) You have the right seeds (eg, plump helmet spawn for plump helmets)
2) They're not forbidden
3) If they're in a container (bag, barrel), it's not forbidden.
4) Your farmer can path to the seeds.
5) Your farmer can path to the farm.
6) Your farmer has Farm (Fields) enabled in their labor list.
7) The farm has the seeds selected for this season.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

Iverum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2009, 08:38:29 pm »

Aha, I have it now. The issue was with pressing enter. I hadn't read any instructions that asked for it so I hadn't thought about it. Thank you for your help. Excuse my noobishness if you will, please.

Once again, thank you very much.