Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Am I really just that bad?  (Read 2521 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Am I really just that bad?
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2009, 08:16:39 pm »

I also like Superweapons.  Watching the Monkeylord plow through the enemy's defenses is always fun.

If Dominions 3 weren't micromanagement hell it would be a lot of fun for this reason too.  A lot of the high level summons are crazy awesome (If a banelord hits a guy with his sword the guy ages to death within seconds)
Shoes...

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2009, 05:13:11 pm »

I've always hated super weapons, their sooo cheap... :-X
If by cheap you mean expensive as all get out, then yes. Yes they are.
I have to second that. Super-weapons are not efficient or cheap (think about how many technologically superior tanks you didn't build just so you could get that stupid A-bomb in Hearts of Iron). They are very cool though, and if games were anything like real life, they'd serve as deterrent to your enemies (as it is, they are just there for your [sick] amusement).
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2009, 05:30:56 pm »

Ohhh.... Watch as those pretty lasers splash against the Fatboys shields.... OOOOOhhhh... Pretty...
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2009, 06:01:37 pm »

You superweapons detractors must be horribly boring people. You don't build a giant friggin' super ultra gun of ultimate doom because it is cost effective or efficient. You build it because it's a giant friggin' super ultra gun of ultimate doom and shooting it will make 3 billion people cry out in sheer terror and suffering while completely awestruck at the incredible way they all died.

Then some plucky teenager with schizophrenia will blow it up but hey, that's part of the game.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2009, 06:04:19 pm »

Personal experience, Umiman?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2009, 06:10:25 pm »

I must admit to being a superweapon fan.  There's just something so damned satisfying about having this massive and flashy gun o' death that you not only do not need to but are in fact highly discouraged from building an army of.  Flashy guns just don't look cool if there are fifty others just like it scattered around.

I think the Aeon really got the awesome superweapons of SupCom.  But then again, I've only read about them and watched videos.  But I still think a gargantuan mothership-type UFO with a devastating air-to-surface beam in the middle of it ranks at a higher level of freakin' awesome than a big tank that makes smaller tanks.

Or that Cybran gunship...  That thing was just sad.

EDIT:  Should we convert this thread over to a "games with superweapons" discussion?

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2009, 10:33:08 pm »

slighty off topic: If you play multiplay on 4x games(i they magically have it) Human players are much more diplomatic.
Hello Hunam

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2009, 10:39:03 pm »

You superweapons detractors must be horribly boring people. You don't build a giant friggin' super ultra gun of ultimate doom because it is cost effective or efficient. You build it because it's a giant friggin' super ultra gun of ultimate doom and shooting it will make 3 billion people cry out in sheer terror and suffering while completely awestruck at the incredible way they all died.

Same reason we build megaprojects.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2009, 02:38:17 am »

Same reason we build megaprojects.

Yeh, but with a superweapon at least it's their people.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2009, 04:22:38 am »

Oh? So that's what superweapons are for?

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2009, 09:04:45 am »

crushing your foe befor you with a cool weapon.
only thay often take to long to make or get trash easy or are to weak.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2009, 09:06:54 am »

I must admit to being a superweapon fan.  There's just something so damned satisfying about having this massive and flashy gun o' death that you not only do not need to but are in fact highly discouraged from building an army of.  Flashy guns just don't look cool if there are fifty others just like it scattered around.

I think the Aeon really got the awesome superweapons of SupCom.  But then again, I've only read about them and watched videos.  But I still think a gargantuan mothership-type UFO with a devastating air-to-surface beam in the middle of it ranks at a higher level of freakin' awesome than a big tank that makes smaller tanks.

Or that Cybran gunship...  That thing was just sad.

EDIT:  Should we convert this thread over to a "games with superweapons" discussion?
All the awesomeness of the CZAR is negated by the pile of cheese that is the Galactic Colossus. I still think the UEF wins because of the cannon that fires school buses full of gunpowder across the entire map and the submarine that can be left alone in a corner with autobuild turned on for the entire match to spit out 100 bombers near the end.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2009, 10:01:13 am »

You mean the atlantis.  That thing is bitching.
Pages: 1 [2]