Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Random construction.  (Read 1288 times)

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Random construction.
« on: December 08, 2007, 02:43:00 am »

I'd like an option to "Build Random Stone object" for the mason, for example. Select that, put it on Repeat, and your dwarf will build a door, then a coffer, then an armor stand, etc. Randomly selecting a thing and building it. Perhaps you could select the type of stone to use.

SquashMonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Random construction.
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 03:08:00 am »

Why not just put all the tasks you want on repeat?

Core Xii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 04:03:00 am »

That's a really weird request. Why would you want to produce random objects?

[ December 08, 2007: Message edited by: Core Xii ]

Reality is for people who lack imagination

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 06:23:00 am »

Aye, I can't see any reason you'd want to do this for stone.

Clothing, however, is a different matter, since there are too many different types of clothing to fit on the queue, it would be nice to have a generic "make clothes".  You could even have it so that the dwarves make whichever type is in short supply preferentially.

If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 08:56:00 am »

Seconded!
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 11:11:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Keldor:
<STRONG>Aye, I can't see any reason you'd want to do this for stone.

Clothing, however, is a different matter, since there are too many different types of clothing to fit on the queue, it would be nice to have a generic "make clothes".  You could even have it so that the dwarves make whichever type is in short supply preferentially.</STRONG>

Agreed.

If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007, 11:29:00 am »

I think this is something that could be added as a generalized option to the manager.  The command would be "Keep item in stock".  You would add it like a production order, with quantity, but the difference is that it would only create new workshop orders when the amount of the item in the stockpile or workshops dropped below the quantity.  So, you have a "keep 5 stone doors in stock" option, and if your furniture stockpile ever has below 5 doors, a new task is queued.

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2007, 11:45:00 am »

A generic make clothes command would be nice, especially with an even easier "Make suit" command that lets you make a change of clothes for one dwarf.

Zurai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2007, 12:27:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by bombcar:
<STRONG>I'd like an option to "Build Random Stone object" for the mason, for example. Select that, put it on Repeat, and your dwarf will build a door, then a coffer, then an armor stand, etc. Randomly selecting a thing and building it. Perhaps you could select the type of stone to use.</STRONG>

Even if a task is set to repeat, the shop will shuffle that task to the end of the queue after making one item from that task. So, you can easily set 10 different masonry tasks on repeat and you will get 10 different stone objects made at an even rate.

Elvenshae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2007, 01:01:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Keldor:
<STRONG>
Clothing, however, is a different matter, since there are too many different types of clothing to fit on the queue, it would be nice to have a generic "make clothes".  You could even have it so that the dwarves make whichever type is in short supply preferentially.</STRONG>

Yes, yes, yes!

Every couple seasons, I have to go into the manager screen, order up a couple dozen shirts, skirts, tunics, dresses, trousers, socks, mittens, gloves, cloaks, hoods, caps, shoes, boots, etc.

It takes *forever*.

A much better, "Make a suit of clothes!" command would be much appreciated.

Patryn of Elvenshae

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2007, 04:35:00 pm »

I'd like to see this for cloths at least.  What I end up doing it queuing up two or more workshops with various items on repeat.  Then have to keep doing it everytime I run out of cloth.