Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I only catch Cave Fish  (Read 542 times)

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I only catch Cave Fish
« on: October 07, 2009, 09:14:05 pm »

43 damn fish, but 0 Cave Lobsters. Which means 0 shells. So my last fey dwarf went insane.

There's no other water on this map, so no turtles will appear.

Is there any reason for that?

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I only catch Cave Fish
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 09:58:41 pm »

All I know about fishing is that you can fish turtles out of aquifers if you have to. You might try making an artificial pond on the surface and fishing from that.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 10:07:41 pm »

Cave Lobsters cannot be caught by fishing.  They have the VERMIN_NOFISH token which wiki says "The creature cannot be caught by fishing."

I believe you can catch them with the Catch a Live Land Animal job, as they do not have the VERMIN_NOTRAP token.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 10:20:38 pm »

Cave Lobsters cannot be caught by fishing.  They have the VERMIN_NOFISH token which wiki says "The creature cannot be caught by fishing."

I believe you can catch them with the Catch a Live Land Animal job, as they do not have the VERMIN_NOTRAP token.
That's the trouble. Thanks.

I'll try trapping them.

There's no aquifers on this map. Just 22 tiles of subterranean river. The water level's going down, so I'm NOT about to pump any of my precious water into a surface pond just to catch a turtle.

Besides if I tried it would evaporate. This is a desert.

Nick

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 12:01:51 am »

Rivers are infinite supplies of water. The level goes down at the edges of the map naturally; you're not about to run out. Now, underground pools are a different story. Still, any underground water will only evaporate if its depth is 1/7.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 01:01:55 am »

I might try that eventually, then. I'm still reluctant to do it, tho. There's no good place to add a pond in my fort, and I'm trying to make my fort as self-sufficient as possible.

In the meantime I think I'll just mod lobsters to be catchable.

Nick

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 07:41:47 am »

If you want to catch turtles, all you need to do is dig a channel next to your underground river that leads into a different (48x48) region tile - since you won't be fishing within the underground river itself, the game will think you're fishing from a murky pool instead, giving you turtles.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.