Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: how long do [spoilies] stay [spoily]?  (Read 865 times)

seanose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
how long do [spoilies] stay [spoily]?
« on: October 07, 2009, 02:28:59 pm »

Sorry if this has been asked before; I searched here and on the wiki and got nothing.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Very puzzling.

[Edited for spoiliness.]
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 02:55:49 pm by seanose »

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: how long do demons stay invisible?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 02:48:04 pm »

To my knowledge, you need for a unit to be directly adjacent to the stealthed creature to detect it. Hiding behind fortifications puts you too far away.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

seanose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: how long do [spoilies] stay [spoily]?
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 03:00:45 pm »

If that is true---which I dearly hope it is not---can I send a single peasant in to reveal them *all*, or would he just reveal the one or two he gets killed by?

It really should be a line of sight thing.  This is quite frustrating.

seanose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 03:03:36 pm »

I should also note I'm playing the Dig Deeper mod.  I don't think it matters, but it may.

I've slaughtered tons of Orc waves in the crisscross of death.

I thought demons--especially non fire-breathing ones--would be no different...

I guess I'll just have to develop my hand-to-hand military.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 04:19:06 pm »

Line of sight is expensive to calculate, so it's not bothered with in Fortress mode.

Your single peasant would reveal every demon he gets adjacent to before he dies. He might not reveal things if he gets knocked unconscious; I've not experimented.

And yes, learning to run a melee military is useful. For one thing, crossbows are useless against the undead, and you'll probably eventually want to try playing on evil maps.

And did you really expect for the demons to be easy? They're the nastiest enemies you can get in the base game.

Finally, edit your posts instead of double-posting, please.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 04:26:21 pm »

If they're not the firebreathing kind, close the door/raise the bridge to trap them, then throw kittens in.  Kitten encounters thing, makes it visible, thing can get shot.  Kitten may die, but, meh.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

seanose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 05:11:22 pm »

Ah, the kittens idea is spectacular.

I actually hit the "modify" button to edit the post; I thought this simply changed the post without double posting.

I definitely don't look for easy games: I'm playing Dig Deeper in a Terrifying area.

Thanks for the kittens idea.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 05:33:49 pm »

I didn't suggest dumping kittens in largely because some demons can fly. All Spirits of Fire can, for example -- but there's also one plain "Demon" in every pit that can also fly.