Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Swimming dwarf still won't mine where I want.  (Read 761 times)

Chromie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Swimming dwarf still won't mine where I want.
« on: October 07, 2009, 10:06:26 am »

I carved what-ought-to-look-like-a-boat

Into a rocky bit of the side of my island. Those ramps are still there though... SO I thought I'd make a swimming miner to do it.

My miner fell down there once, in a cave in, and recovered from unconsciousness and swam out (he's been my hero ever since). I recruited him and set him to patrol through a pool of 5/5 water covering ramps -- he's a 'competent swimmer' now. He still won't jump in and take down those ramps though. :(

Does his swimming skill need to be higher to brave the 7/7s? Or will a dwarf never willingly go into 7/7 water? Anyone have experience dropping a dwarf in water and getting them to do something?

(I'm doing a no-immigrants island fort, the miner is unmarried but I don't want to take more losses than I can avoid...)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Swimming dwarf still won't mine where I want.
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 10:09:06 am »

Dwarves will never willingly path through water deeper than 3/7, even if legendary swimmers - once water reaches 4/7 (or magma reaches 1/7), the tile is simply marked as "dangerous terrain" and is ignored for all pathfinding attempts (unless the dwarf is already in the tile, in which case he may path through others for the sole purpose of escaping).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Chromie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 10:33:32 am »

Hmm maybe a row of pumps will get that water low enough...

Also, my dwarf was patrolling through 5/5, and he didn't cancel his walk due to 'dangerous terrain' until he went to go eat or drink -- military dwarfs might have different rules for this kind of thing?

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 01:19:26 pm »

Hmm maybe a row of pumps will get that water low enough...

Also, my dwarf was patrolling through 5/5, and he didn't cancel his walk due to 'dangerous terrain' until he went to go eat or drink -- military dwarfs might have different rules for this kind of thing?

I assume so, have you ever seen a military dwarf stop what they were doing when another goblin shows up?

:D
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 01:43:31 pm »

Dwarves will never willingly path through water deeper than 3/7, even if legendary swimmers - once water reaches 4/7 (or magma reaches 1/7), the tile is simply marked as "dangerous terrain" and is ignored for all pathfinding attempts (unless the dwarf is already in the tile, in which case he may path through others for the sole purpose of escaping).

That's not ENTIRELY true. I recently lost dwarves on my fort because they willingly passed through 7/7 water (and enough tiles of it to drown) from dry land in an attempt to get to other dry land. The kicker is both sides of the water were accessible by completely dry routes.

Still I'd say 99% of the time your statement is accurate.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 05:20:52 pm »

yes, I've had dwarfs path through forbidden doors into water before, it seems they path until they classify it as dangerous terrain, which, like "stay inside orders" can take a few squares to realize their folly

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 06:52:43 pm »

Actually, 4/7 water is "okay" terrain, where they are just fine moving about in it, but wont path into it in the first place.  And a 3/7 tile becoming 4/7 makes a dangerous terrain event.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 10:20:51 pm »

Could you build a bridge/walkway to the boat?
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.