Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mapgen parameters that create sand layers?  (Read 726 times)

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mapgen parameters that create sand layers?
« on: October 06, 2009, 10:03:38 pm »

I'm trying to make mapgen create worlds with lots of sand, in addition to all my other requirements. Deserts are easy, but they tend to preclude many of the more interesting environments (particularly the creatures you get in forests and swamps). I know it's possible to get sand in most locations, but what are the required mapgen parameters? Just low drainage doesn't cut it. And yes, I've looked at the wiki; none of the relevant nodes seem to have anything on how mapgen parameters relate to soil layers.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Mapgen parameters that create sand layers?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 11:01:38 pm »

As far as I know, there doesn't seem to be anything particular in the worldgen parameters that determines the presence of sand; forcing rainfall, drainage, and volcanism to 100% didn't show a preference between sand and lack of sand, and forcing all of them to 0%... made a giant-ass desert, as might be expected.

I believe the best way to get sand without turning the world into a giant-ass desert is simply to increase the prevalence of sites with all of your other requirements, so it becomes more likely that one of them ends up in somewhere sandy.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 11:23:13 pm »

This gave me an amazing idea.

DUNE! It'd only have underground water sources, new creatures that can dig through sand and are worm like (AND FREAKING HUGE!) You'd play fremen instead of dwarves (and everyone knows that has read Dune that Fremen are as close to the level of bad ass that dwarves are as it is humanly possible to get).
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 04:26:09 am »

Increase the x and y variances, i have them at about 4000 (if you put them too high the game freaks out trying to place civs) while Volcanism is at about 10000, the game whinges at me that volcanism is unevenly distributed but i just tell it to go fuck itself and it gens a world with all kinds of wierd shit going down.