Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Location finder question  (Read 496 times)

Troas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Location finder question
« on: October 06, 2009, 08:38:54 pm »

Since the perfect site is hard to find, and admittedly somewhat hard to unambiguously define, I tend to set the finder up with a partial list of requirements - specifying the more important ones to be part of the search.  But even when all the search criteria goes green it still keeps grinding through the rest of the zones.  So two requests really:

1) Can I interrupt the finder once all criteria have been met to see what location was found instead of having to wait for the scan to finish?

2) Is there any way to make the finder cough up any additional matching locations found during the scan after I see the first? 
You'd think handing out the crossbows to brain damaged dwarfs would be a bad idea but it isn't

Save the catgirls!

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Location finder question
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 08:43:27 pm »

I'm pretty sure the answer to both is no. Hopefully this will be fixed in the coming release, along with the ability to request sand and other important things, as well as an OR function for the magma pool/pipe, underground pool/river and chasm/bottomless pit pairs so that we don't have to search once for each version of the feature we're looking for. Also, can "river" be defined as an actual river and separately from brooks and streams?
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

IronBeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 08:45:03 pm »

"River" will include brooks and streams, in addition to a full-on river. No way to specify which one you want as of yet.

Troas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 09:13:53 pm »

Thanks.  I guess I'll start trying to figure out the UltraFinder then. 
You'd think handing out the crossbows to brain damaged dwarfs would be a bad idea but it isn't

Save the catgirls!

Razoric480

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Iced Fire Studio
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 10:59:13 pm »

The only ways to find other spots is to change the finder options, or start a fort and abandon it so it skips to the next.

gerkinzola

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 11:59:59 pm »

you do realise that the most fun and longest forts are in hard locations because ur determination keeps you going whereas the perfect locations are usually short coz they're too easy and u get bored... at least that what ive found

Troas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 01:00:05 am »

you do realise that the most fun and longest forts are in hard locations because ur determination keeps you going whereas the perfect locations are usually short coz they're too easy and u get bored... at least that what ive found

My current definition of "perfect":
5x5 or smaller (I'm using a 4 year old machine) with magma, HFS, underground river, flux, iron, sand, and trees with a long chasm and a mix of haunted/terrifying and untamed wilds.  Undead on the map but far enough away from the embark location that I have a few months to get set up.  Especially when it comes to skeletal flyers - skeletal giant eagles or even skeletal giant bats can really make a mess of a beginning fortress.  Elves nearby in a good zone who can sell me sunberries and a few exotic pets for breeding before being slaughtered.  I'm not quite ready to face major aquifers - so far my attempts to manage them have been fairly disastrous.

Save the catgirls!

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 01:12:53 am »

Troas: you'll get better luck getting all those features in the same area if you go for really shallow mountains. I've found that setting a minimum elevation range of 290 and a maximum of 300 with a variance of 1600 does nicely:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Combining flux, sand, and magma with all of that is harder.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Troas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 01:13:33 pm »

I'll have to try experiments along those lines.  I'd raised the min elevation to 50 but I was getting infinite rejects if I raised it above 100.  What else did you alter to get it to gen properly?  Here's what I'm using now:
I get a potential 6x6 or 7x7 site in about one out of every three worlds I create.  If an otherwise good site only has a sandy xxxx or xxxx sand layer I'll consider adding a [SOIL_SAND] tag to it. 

Save the catgirls!

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 01:58:07 pm »

Here's an example set of worldgen params:
Note that has a fixed world seed, since I was using it to pass along a site to a friend (nothing particularly special; just another small mountain).

You probably got rejects because you had requirements for oceans or some other low-elevation map feature that couldn't be met.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels