Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How did they cross the chasm?  (Read 966 times)

yarnosh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How did they cross the chasm?
« on: October 18, 2009, 01:50:15 am »

I'm playing the dig deeper mod and I got my first orc siege. At first I laughed because they appeared on the opposite side of the map which is bisected by a chasm. I never built any kind of bridges. Never got around to it. So I go to check up on them and they crossed teh chasm somehow! WTF? So I was totally unprepared. I couldn't even wall off my entrance in time.

How did they get across?

Huin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did they cross the chasm?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 02:28:41 am »

I'm playing the dig deeper mod and I got my first orc siege. At first I laughed because they appeared on the opposite side of the map which is bisected by a chasm. I never built any kind of bridges. Never got around to it. So I go to check up on them and they crossed teh chasm somehow! WTF? So I was totally unprepared. I couldn't even wall off my entrance in time.

How did they get across?

Are you sure that it wasn't another squad that appeared on your side of the chasm? The siege announcement moves the display to one squad, but there are usually more dotted around the edges of the map in my experience (with goblin sieges at least).

Tirin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 09:29:02 am »

I didn't think squads would spawn in completely inaccessible areas. Are you sure the chasm is exposed completely, no areas where the top level is covered and provides a bridge?

yarnosh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 04:02:34 pm »

Oh, crap, must have been a second squad. Though I distinctly remember seeing them directly east of the chasm. As if they had just crossed it. And I'm almost positive that the chasm completely split the map in half. 

Would I really get two squads my first winter? That's harsh. :-)

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 08:54:44 pm »

Oh, crap, must have been a second squad. Though I distinctly remember seeing them directly east of the chasm. As if they had just crossed it. And I'm almost positive that the chasm completely split the map in half. 

Would I really get two squads my first winter? That's harsh. :-)

Isn't that the whole point of Dig Deeper?

yarnosh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 09:59:51 pm »

Indeed it is. I'm not complaining. Just surprised. Really, I knew orcs would come early and often. So I should have at least been prepared to lock myself in and wait it out. But I wasn't. Part of problem was that I kept trying to construct a wall in my entrance, but I was selecting rock that was outside the fort. And the dwarves were told to stay inside. I couldn't figure out why nobody would take the wall building job!