Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Sewerage  (Read 1630 times)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sewerage
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2007, 06:41:00 pm »

next you'll want to use it as fertilizer.  then you'll want to use animal dung as fertilizer.  then nobody will use potash or lye!

think of the game balance!

edit:  AND you'll want to use it as fuel.  AND when someone falls into one, you'll want to have engravings about how that dwarf committed sewercide.

[ July 06, 2007: Message edited by: puke ]

TrombonistAndrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2008, 12:32:00 pm »

Hooray for posting on old threads . . .

I'm noticing that one thing that makes fortress building in DF interesting are the engineering challenges possible, especially given the Z axis. Traps, levers, fluid control, tactical room and shop placement, avoiding cave-ins (well, at least as things are intended to work) - all these things are engineering problems.

Dealing with sewerage is an engineering problem, and apprached thusly really will enhance the game. Part of what makes engineering problems interesting is finding ways to make seemingly conflicting problems work.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2008, 07:06:00 pm »

Designate a channel as a shithole. But seriously, having flush toilets (Architect -> Mason maybe?) that require being on top of a hole above a water-filled channel (like wells) would be an easy fix. Just drain it into the cave lake and watch the monsters die of pollution.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Drunken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2008, 08:47:00 pm »

quote:
Designate a channel as a shithole. But seriously, having flush toilets (Architect -> Mason maybe?) that require being on top of a hole above a water-filled channel (like wells) would be an easy fix. Just drain it into the cave lake and watch the monsters die of pollution.

This adds another problem to the long list that plagues fortresses without an adequate water supply. We need to have available options for composting toilets in  hot climates (permanent miasma, must be away from everything) and deep pits in glacial maps where the excrement just freezes at the bottom. Speaking of frozen excrement, you could carve a room into it after and have walls of it. Then you could use the stones carved out to make frozen excrement crafts, to be sold to the elves and when they return to their warmer regions with their +Excrement Goblet+ and try to drink from it it melts. Elves deserve our wrath and disdain.

A stopped clock is right for exactly two infinitessimal moments every day.
A working clock on the other hand is almost never ever exactly right.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2008, 12:22:00 am »

Dwarves do not need toilets.  They simply grow larger beards.

If you really want a plumbing challenge, build showers instead.  Little buggers currently run around caked in mud, vomit, blood, and various and sundry other contaminants.  They ought to wash periodically.

Quift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2008, 03:31:00 am »

This gave me loads of ideas. I'm so going to build shitholes on each floor, and place it above my main drain which pumps all my sewer into the demon pits.

such a nice idea

John Johnston

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrescuable aspie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2008, 04:50:00 am »

I'd really rather not see this.  Games like The Sims or The Movies where the inhabitants are obsessed by bodily functions (and often spend simulated hours devoted to them) I find terribly boring and even a shade prurient.  While a fully functional dwarf plumbing system might be an interesting challenge I can see a reductio ad absurdam situation with sewage pipe, freshwater pipes, gas pipes and hot air pipes underneath each room...    :)

One approach I would like would be for dwarves to require access to water to perform generalised ablutions.  Without going into detail, the dwarf would simply walk to a water source and wash themself.  This could remove all blood, vomit or whatever, and could be considered their "toilette".    :)  (edit)  This would be a distinct task, generated the same as way as "hungry" or "thirsty" or "sleepy" tasks, rather than simply them happening to get covered in water.  (/edit)

[ February 05, 2008: Message edited by: John Johnston ]

Oh
God it's been a lovely day
Everything's been going my way
I had so much fun today
And I'm on fire

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2008, 06:01:00 am »

Dwarves do not wash.  They add a coating of water on top of everything else.  That is simply the way it is.

TrombonistAndrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2008, 10:59:00 am »

I suppose it's also possible that they just poop rocks.

And what is this talk of pipes of all kinds? There is no need to introduce that kind of technology.

And flush toilets??

You all need to remember what ancient sewers consisted of: channels and pits. Chamber pots for the wealthy. External toilet buildings, to keep the stuff away from one's house. In many parts of the world, that's what people STILL use.

[ February 05, 2008: Message edited by: TrombonistAndrew ]

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2008, 01:19:00 pm »

Dwarf female throws Urist Jr., baby, at the goblin!
Dwarf female throws XXpig tail diaperXX at the goblin!
The spinning load of waste strikes the goblin in the mouth!
It is revolted!
The goblin vomits.
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.
Pages: 1 [2]