Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: "Victory Gardens"  (Read 2066 times)

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Victory Gardens"
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2010, 09:54:40 pm »

But I don't want to live somewhere rural, that's the problem.

Er, well thats the only place where you can really grow anything. You can't grow vegetable gardens or crops in the suburbs, the HOA will forbid it and fine you like, 200$/ day untill you lay down sod over your garden.

Suburbs maybe, small towns it can definitely be done. I lived in one for college and like I said, a lot of my friends (and other people associated with my college) do it.

In urban areas, you are surely joking.

You'd be amazed. There's tons of vacant lots and a lot of them get converted into community gardens. Plus rooftop space can be used for growing smaller plants and there's plenty of that. Hell some guys in my neighborhood had chickens for a while, and it's legal, and anywhere with backyard space is just asking for veggies to be grown.

And yeah, you're not going to live on this alone by any means. But it cuts down on the amount of food trucked in from far away, it's organic, it's local, all the rest. Makes a good community service project for ghetto kids to learn where food comes from and build character too
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2010, 10:39:27 pm »

Well thats all true. It really depends on the local zoning laws, which can vary wildly. As far as I know, the converted vacant lots are partially sponsered by some organization that can lobby the local zoning board a bit. Typically a lot downtown is a very expensive plot of land for growing vegetables, no way it would be commerically viable unless its some rustbelt economically depressed place.

As for suburbs, it depends. Most of these privately owned sub-divisions full of McMansions will absolutely forbid any form of life besides grass and humans to be there. When I was growing up I lived in a sort of suburb, but it mixed-residential un-zoned stuff. People purchased lots and built whatever they wanted on them. Neighbor had a half-acre garden and another neighbor had chickens and a pet goat.

Anyways, I'm kinda rambling here. Definately check with the authorites before you start tilling your backyard and building a compost heap, though.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2010, 01:25:12 pm »

Ugh yeah, subdivisions are the creepiest places ever. They give me the heebie jeebies whenever I go there. Can you get any more soulless than those? I dunno...
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus
Pages: 1 2 [3]