Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: As to the Nature of Map-Based Locomotion and the Flaws I  (Read 775 times)

Kinghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
As to the Nature of Map-Based Locomotion and the Flaws I
« on: October 26, 2006, 09:00:00 pm »

Overreliance on Abovesaid Matter:

So, I think that instead of automatically going to the World Map whenever you reach the edge of an area, you should just move to the next area. Travelling on the World Map would be done by using the sadly under-utilized 'T' key as long as you were far enough away from elephants, mole-men, etc. This would make big cities easier and also help out those people that like long, epic, (boring) journeys. Yeah.

I had a good idea for a signature so I decided to use it but then I forgot it. This wasn''t it, but this is pretty good too.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: As to the Nature of Map-Based Locomotion and the Flaws I
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 10:33:00 pm »

There's a thread on this somewhere...

found:  here

[ October 26, 2006: Message edited by: Toady One ]

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: As to the Nature of Map-Based Locomotion and the Flaws I
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 09:10:00 am »

I agree with this.  I am totally fine with the map not "scrolling" with movement, that's not a  big deal.  When moving off the screen you should just move to the adjacent square, however, without going to "t"ravel mode automatically.  Making sure that the terrain matches the map description is very important too.  If I'm dying of thirst and see a river on the "t" screen I should be able to get to it in the local screen.