Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Building atop magma?  (Read 543 times)

Tryptic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Building atop magma?
« on: October 03, 2009, 03:33:17 pm »

I know that back in one game, I tried to build a death trap, with what amounted to a floor (Which was also a noble's dining room) over a giant empty chamber, which was held up with a single support.  I then flooded the chamber below with magma. 

The idea was that if worst came to worst, I had made an entire secondary fortress on the other side of the map, and could let my soldiers play "Horatius At The Bridge", while my peasants ran across the only access, and dropped the whole thing into magma...  hoping the soldiers made it across in time.

This failed, because, when I dropped the support...  the floor stayed, floating in magma.

So, today, I tried building a pair of towers, and floating them in the magma pipe which I'd built my main entrance over.  However, the instant I removed the link to land...  *A Section of the Cavern Has Collapsed!*

Why did the tower not float, like the floor did?  Is it some sort of glitch with the support, as opposed to with the magma, in that collapsing it allows things to float?  Or does magma actually simulate buoyancy, and I need to make the floor much wider to get floatation?

I can drain off the magma and plant a support on one side (there's a shelf there.)  But I can't with the other side.
Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 03:39:56 pm by Tryptic »

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
Re: Building atop magma?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 03:40:25 pm »

buoyancy is non-existent in DF, and supports aren't known to bug, are you SURE nothing on that bridge was connected to anything else? I mean, the dwarves running over it had to get out somehow, right?

Tryptic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 04:14:37 pm »

connected by bridges on both ends.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 04:20:53 pm »

Was there anything above the platform? Perhaps it was connected to the ceiling?
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 04:34:32 pm »

Magma does not provide support.

If your noble dining room had any walls that you kept as pretty columns, that would hold up the floor, since support is also provided from above.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Tryptic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 05:28:23 pm »

Nope, I had pretested it dry (via savescum) and got a wonderful crash.  Sadly, I lost all my saves a couple weeks later in a crash, or I'd upload it so you could see what's going on.

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 09:57:44 pm »

Then all we can say without a save is, assuming you didn't do something really obviously dumb like turning cave-ins off in your init file, that some time after your test run worked but before you tried to do it for real, you must have unknowingly done something that connected your island to something else that supported it.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.