Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: To efficient to play team games...  (Read 1368 times)

mareck

• Bay Watcher
  • Ahhhh, Dwarf meat!
    • View Profile
Re: To efficient to play team games...
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2009, 12:54:22 am »

It was not that i ruined a mega project, it was the fact that i was removing his design for the fort.
This fort is still to young for mega projects.
On a great note, he calmed down and said we can continue again.
Art is a Blast

Kravick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2009, 04:35:10 am »

>< How is making everything smoothed and built from blocks optimizing a fort? It sounds like a really inefficient use of dwarves time meaning a fort is running un-optimally (is that a word?) which in effect means your head should explode from all the time you put in to un-optimizing your forts, given your OCD status.

Bleh, who needs sentences when you can do it all in 1 paragraph?

Because it dramatically increases the value of your fortress?  Smooth stone increases the value of rooms and overall value of the fort which is necessary for certain events to happen (migrations, certain nobles, bigger sieges, etc).  Then you can engrave it for an even bigger boost to your forts wealth.  Same thing with blocks.  Stone cut into blocks make the stone more valuable.  Building things out of base materials (logs, uncut stone, etc) are only worth the basic value.  This also trains your masons to legendary status so they can make master quality level stone statues and furniture which are very nice for keeping nobles happy.  Which in turn also keeps me happy as I won't have to waste my time coming up with ways to terminate their existence.

Its not OCD status thing.  Its increasing my fortress wealth.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 04:41:01 am by Kravick »

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2009, 09:00:58 am »

OCD can be about keeping things looking neat and clean just as easily as it can be about running at peak efficiency.

As for me, I usually have a sort of pre-defined way of building my fortresses.  The Noble's crypts are always at the bottom z-level.  Then the commoners' crypts.  Then the noble housing.  Then the common housing.  I farm on the soil level, and any rooms built here (eventually) get walls and floors built into them.  I always have three z-levels for my workshops (that is, one for the shop, one for the output (above) and one for the input (below)) and they usually have one open space on all sides of each workshop.  I separate my "hot" industries from the cold ones, so in all my industry takes up about 6 z-levels.  My meeting hall, well, and booze/meat industry are all on the same level, just under the surface, and the offices and noble dining halls are somewhere thereabouts.  Trade depot always goes outside, eventually behind a wall and connected to a road.
Custom stockpiles are an absolute must.  I cannot imagine playing the game without them.

I generally focus on getting my food and bedrooms up first, then basic defenses, then slowly add industries and move stuff inside as it becomes available.  Cloth is usually an early industry, as the stuff is easily made (grow pig tails) and gives me all the chains I need for war dogs/breeding cattle.

... I can't tell yet if I'm interested in a succession game or not.  It's hard for me to sit down and play just one year. c.c;
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!
Pages: 1 [2]