Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Elves sick of my crappy crafts?  (Read 694 times)

OneRaven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Elves sick of my crappy crafts?
« on: October 02, 2009, 12:14:30 pm »

The elves have arrived!  :-\

Ok, time to trade...

Wait, what?

According to the trade menu, my glass-encrusted chalk crafts, with a base value of between 100 and 400, are only worth 40-100 to these ungrateful treehuggers. Weirder still, some of the higher value crafts are worth less than the lower value crafts - a base-value 280 amulet is shown as 41, while a base-value 160 scepter is shown as 61. Right below that is a base-value 140 scepter worth...140.

Have I finally pushed so many cheap crafts on the elves that their value has gone down? And if that's the case, why isn't it consistent across the crafts? I wouldn't be surprised if scepters/amulets/etc are tracked separately, but not all scepters get the same value reduction, so I don't think that's it. Do crafts get worn down? And if so, shouldn't I be seeing xCraftx and xxCraftxx?
Messing with hardcoded stuff is playing with fire. And we all know how dwarves react to fire.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Elves sick of my crappy crafts?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 12:24:31 pm »

They aren't decorated with clear glass, are they? After all, making clear glass requires pearlash, and making pearlash requires burning wood, and you know how the elves feel about wood...
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

OneRaven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 12:32:14 pm »

Nope. I've been mass producing green glass in this fortress, and covering all my trade goods with it to bump up value. I made some clear glass but decided that it was a waste of wood for trade goods, when quantity could do just as well.
Messing with hardcoded stuff is playing with fire. And we all know how dwarves react to fire.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 12:36:42 pm »

Another thing to check would be that your (legendary) Broker is doing the trading rather than some random dwarf.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

OneRaven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 12:45:48 pm »

Yes. Some of the goods have the right price - all the large glass gems my mayor adores are the right price, and some of the crafts are full value - but others are significantly below their value, with no apparent rhyme or reason to the change.

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 01:11:40 pm »

Are the undervalued crafts decorated with spikes?  Elves have [ITEM_IMPROVEMENT_MODIFIER:SPIKES:0] in their entity raw, so they may not like them.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

OneRaven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 01:19:51 pm »

That may have been it.

The humans came and bought the crafts at full price, so it was the elves' problem, not mine.

Edit: Elves came back next spring, and indeed, all the "discounted" crafts are spiky. They didn't bring anything worth buying anyway - in fact, nothing even worth seizing. Stupid elves!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 04:01:37 pm by OneRaven »

Kravick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 11:00:48 pm »

That may have been it.

The humans came and bought the crafts at full price, so it was the elves' problem, not mine.

Edit: Elves came back next spring, and indeed, all the "discounted" crafts are spiky. They didn't bring anything worth buying anyway - in fact, nothing even worth seizing. Stupid elves!

Confirming that elves are useless.  They don't even make good practice dummies in adventure mode as they die to fast.

glueheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2009, 01:18:25 pm »

Not even exotic animals?

And a related question, do animals bought from the elves attack captured elf invaders if they declare war on you?

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2009, 07:22:31 pm »

That may have been it.

Drown them all and toss their stuff in magma.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.