Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How in the name of Armok does a miner misplace his pick??  (Read 1300 times)

Hellfish

• Bay Watcher
  • Just struck earth
    • View Profile
How in the name of Armok does a miner misplace his pick??
« on: October 06, 2009, 08:57:38 pm »

This megaproject is *not* off to a good start. First my secondary miner gets deep-fried in magma spatter and now my mayor/primary miner is on permanent "No job" even with tons of designations. The reason? No pick. Anybody have a clue what happened here and how to remedy it? There have been no Kobold thieves so even if they can sneak it out from under the combined dwarven noses, that's not it. No accidents that could've caused it. As for finding it, I've looked manually and tried designating a Pick-only stockpile and turning on "Item Hauling" for *everyone* without luck. Stocks screen lists 2 picks (strangely cause I do have highest precision and the secondary miners pick went in the magma pool).

And to compound all this there are no caravans for another year!  :-X
Up a floor? Why do I have to go up a floor, I'm just trying to empty my bucket on the floor here!

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How in the name of Armok does a miner misplace his pick??
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 09:00:04 pm »

you should be able to zoom to the item via the stocks menu. you might need to use tab to bring up the individual picks though.

has the miner been accosted by anything? i had a miner stick his pick into a goblin who tried to run off with it (my 8 champion marksdwarves said, "no" and he was forced to agree)
Balanced Wheels is just rolling along

A small sign posted at the far end of the catapult range.

"In ToolCrew Microline strikes you!"

Hellfish

• Bay Watcher
  • Just struck earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 09:06:52 pm »

Why he had put it under a bunch of boulders and barrels in the food stockpile is beyond me.. And it was forbidden, for some reason.

I'll have to remember this trick, thanks SquirrelWizard!
Up a floor? Why do I have to go up a floor, I'm just trying to empty my bucket on the floor here!

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 09:34:59 pm »

You didn't turn off mining in his Labor listings so that he'd have a meeting or trade, did you?

That causes them to drop their pick; since it's forbidden when they drop it, they won't just pick it back up when you turn mining back on again.

Hellfish

• Bay Watcher
  • Just struck earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 09:48:09 pm »

Ooh, that must have been it. The liaison seemed to linger after the caravan had left and both of the other ways to deal with him(let him snap or undesignate a ton of mining) was too much of a hassle.

But the miner didn't drop the pick when I did the same for the first liaison meeting. Weird? Oh well, at least he's back to work now.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 09:52:52 pm »

Items can get forbidden if they're in the inventory of other creatures when they die. Did your mayor get into a fight? He could easily have stuck his pick into a kobold and then held onto it while the kobold bled out, leaving him holding a forbidden weapon.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Hellfish

• Bay Watcher
  • Just struck earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 10:00:38 pm »

Nope, only Kobolds I've gotten have only dared venture up to the trade depot which is a couple of zlevels up at the very entrance. (Something funny about them 'bolds; the only one that got away risked life and limb for the sake of a piece of Rhyolite.)

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 05:25:49 am »

But the miner didn't drop the pick when I did the same for the first liaison meeting. Weird? Oh well, at least he's back to work now.

From what I've seen, they generally hang onto the pick until they go eat, drink, or sleep and then toss it down rather than immediately casting it aside. If you reactivate Mining before they do any of those, they won't drop the pick.