Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: obsidian stockpile wont work  (Read 690 times)

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
obsidian stockpile wont work
« on: September 30, 2009, 12:11:33 pm »

Ok, alot of times there are settings that prevent a stockpile from being used, like quality settings etc. Stone is usually pretty simple though. I created a new stockpile for obsidian, the dwarves have access to the stockpile and the obsidian, but they won't use it. Even if I set the stockpile to accept all stone, the dwarves won't use it for any stone at all! I have other specific stone stockpiles that work fine, my bauxite and cinnabar piles work, but this one will not even though it has the same settings and is in the same area.

What could I be forgetting? The obsidian is inside above ground. Dwarves are set to collect refuse from outside.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: obsidian stockpile wont work
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 12:23:37 pm »

The stockpile is clear right? There's no 'junk' stone covering up the stockpile? Possibly stone you've designated as hidden?

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 01:10:15 pm »

There may be a locked door between the stockpile and the obsidian, maybe if you were mixing magma and water to make it you have a few doors set to forbidden to prevent dwarves from manacing with spikes of obsidian?
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 01:26:59 pm »

Hmm, I've made some things out of stone, and it appears that when I take stone from my existing stockpile, it is not replaced. I wonder what's going on here. I have stone all over the map too.

My latest forts:

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 01:31:17 pm »

Ok, now they are using my stockpile. The only thing I changed was that I unlocked a room containing a bauxite stockpile. I don't want to waste it because it's all I have, so I locked it. Apparantly this was messing something up.

My latest forts:

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 01:36:27 pm »

On further inspection, I had collapsed a structure on purpose that incidently destroyed a part of my bauxite stockpile, even though it was still in a locked area. When I unlocked it, dwarves are flooding in to haul the non-stored bauxite into the free spots. That might have something to do with it.

My latest forts:

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 01:38:21 pm »

I had the exact same thing happen in my previous fort - a stone stockpile in an inaccessible area was causing all of my other stone stockpiles to quit working.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 02:03:00 pm »

Good to know about that one..

I always forbid stuff I dont want used. If you still have that save, could you see if forbidding the locked-away material made a difference?
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 02:28:17 pm »

Good to know about that one..

I always forbid stuff I dont want used. If you still have that save, could you see if forbidding the locked-away material made a difference?

That's probably a better practice.

My latest forts: