Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Need ideas for the entrance area of my fort  (Read 2893 times)

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Need ideas for the entrance area of my fort
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2009, 12:41:58 am »

I just created a HUGE ASS WALL of statues.  This basically surrounds my 'main' entrance as well as my Depot with just enough space for caravans to get in.  If your wanting to throw something around you could do that.

Count Dorku

• Bay Watcher
  • Sounds Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2009, 01:19:02 am »

We can't forget the old standby: set up the entrance corridor so you can slam a row of bauxite floodgates at either end, then pipe magma into it. Deals with 100% of goblin sieges, and adds natural selection in favour of faster dwarves.
"when in doubt, Magma"

Miners are diggin out nicely, everything will go right, i hope. hell, what am i even saying? this is dwarf fortress. it wont go right.

TheDeadlyShoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Blog not found
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2009, 08:06:54 am »

Thought: Build a spiral road going up the outside of a hill/pillar, then crests the top and spirals downwards inside to the main fort. Then levels out into a grand approach hall underground.. Should have suitably epic visuals.
Lord have mercy and let me not throw up in this space helmet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2009, 10:54:52 am »

Like an inverted tower of babel? Kind of needs an actual hill for it. The fort that this one is about I had gotten bored with and so I ended that fortress.

I have now gotten two worldgens with great sites. Although one has some big empires and a pretty interesting history, but the site is pretty average, the other has a REALLY cool site (I'm thinking of sharing it), but the civs don't have a particularily interesting history (except for one*). Some of the civs in the second one make up for it by having pretty strong panthoeons.

*This one civ decided to attack a goblin civ, the first one bieng over the dispute of a formalized agreement (somehow, I think it was the Dwarven kings fault), a battle was fought, people died, that one ended quickly, a few years later, the same thing (reason was the eating of sapient biengs that time**) and the king died in battle. However, having no heirs, the dwarves elected (or something) a dwarf of the young age of 58 (young for dwarves) to the throne. While there isn't anything special about this new queen, most of her family were killed in the two wars (one was actually abducted and later killed in one of the wars andshe has one living daughter who is a ranger) and while legends says that peace was made in the same year, it doesn't say in the entry for her. So, I like to think she is more of a warrior of ideas than the sword and she played a major part in making peace.

**Actually, I just realized that the reasons for the war were changing, the reasons were a formalized agreement (again), treatment of animals, dispute over torture (sound familiar?), and the one I mentioned above.
Pages: 1 [2]