Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why have seiges stopped?  (Read 812 times)

Ivan Issaccs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why have seiges stopped?
« on: September 29, 2009, 04:45:57 pm »

I have a population of 181.
A created wealth of 1410000001410000
An exported of 109393.

I've only been seiged once in my forts history, its five years in now.
I checked and although I've killed three master thieves the leaders corpse is not their.
Any ideas?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 04:59:55 pm by Ivan Issaccs »
I always enjoy getting those immigrants that are like "I can make soap and potash and lye and cheese and-" then I cut them off with a "Hope you like bricks!" as I turn them into a mason.

Creaca

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Back.
    • View Profile
Re: Why have seiges stopped?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 04:48:19 pm »

I'm not sure. I've heard some people with 20ish year old forts say that they stopped getting sieges after a certain point, while other people say to the contrary.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 04:54:33 pm »

Is there still a Goblin civilization listed in your (c)iv screen? If so, it'll only list leaders that are still alive, so if they're still in there, you should still get sieges.

Also, 141 million in 5 years?!
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Ivan Issaccs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 04:57:49 pm »

Sorry man, squeezed an extra 00 in their by accident.
It currently stands at 1410000.

But yeah, its just turned autumn of my fifth year, the last siege was in my third.
Now while its nice being given plenty of time to prepare a military, this fort is losing its entertainment factor. Anything I can edit to make seiges more frequent or had I better drop down and check the mods board.
And yes, their is still a Goblin civilisation listed with three rulers.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 05:03:17 pm by Ivan Issaccs »
I always enjoy getting those immigrants that are like "I can make soap and potash and lye and cheese and-" then I cut them off with a "Hope you like bricks!" as I turn them into a mason.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 05:11:24 pm »

Goblin sieges are tied to your wealth creation. So make a lot more wealth. Expand industries, churn out goods, make prepared meals, make masterwork sets of steel armor, whatever.

Once you do that, sieges will start coming again.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Ivan Issaccs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 05:52:46 pm »

I thought it was a population cap thing?
Regardless, thanks for the advice and everyshops running repeat orders now.

Although, do created furniture count towards wealth before they are placed?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 07:43:43 pm »

Sieges stop because the game no longer spawns unlimited sieges.

So what happens is that the Goblins will just keep sending enemies at you until they all die off (namely the leader)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 07:50:13 pm »

Sieges stop because the game no longer spawns unlimited sieges.

So what happens is that the Goblins will just keep sending enemies at you until they all die off (namely the leader)

Are you absolutely certain about that?

My current fortress's goblin civilization sent both its Local Leader and Ruler leading siege squads about 5 years in, and both were eventually dropped into my magma pipe (one escaped, returned a few times and escaped again, then finally got dunked in), and 25 years later they keep on sieging me. Their (c)iv screen even says "This land has no important leaders", but that doesn't stop them.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

zooeyglass

• Bay Watcher
  • Melbil that!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 05:54:27 am »

My current fortress's goblin civilization sent both its Local Leader and Ruler leading siege squads about 5 years in, and both were eventually dropped into my magma pipe (one escaped, returned a few times and escaped again, then finally got dunked in), and 25 years later they keep on sieging me. Their (c)iv screen even says "This land has no important leaders", but that doesn't stop them.

i can confirm that - some goblin civs seem very content to keep sending sieges even when each arrival is greeted by a wall of magma and champions...

have you checked that you didn't turn sieges off in the init? have you checked that one of the goblins wasn't punted into the air and is stuck hanging there, bugging out and causing siege-y trouble?

It is a total pain in the butt, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want that upright candy weapon.
Your suspicions are nothing more than superstition

Ivan Issaccs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 06:49:30 am »

No the only goblins on the unit list are in cages.
I presume that isnt causing it?
Also I havn't edited any .INIT files.

zooeyglass

• Bay Watcher
  • Melbil that!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 11:31:18 am »

hmm, strange...

well, then, as already suggested, get your wealth enlarging massively, or otherwise just wait....i had a break of a about a year and a half, two years, and then 3 sieges all of a sudden - so it's not a standard "siege every autumn" kinda set-up.

It is a total pain in the butt, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want that upright candy weapon.
Your suspicions are nothing more than superstition