Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Goblin Siege just standing around at the map edge.  (Read 1915 times)

diefortheswarm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Goblin Siege just standing around at the map edge.
« on: September 19, 2009, 12:04:03 pm »

I am having a problem in my current game where Goblin Sieges just stand around at the map edge and do not attack.  I did some minor modding to the Goblins.  I don't know if any of this would cause the problem.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Keuran

• Bay Watcher
  • not made of spiders
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin Siege just standing around at the map edge.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 12:20:27 pm »

Can they find an unobstructed path straight to one of your dwarves? They just stand around if you lock your fort up with all your dwarves inside. I's probably more of a pathfinding question than modding, as the only tag that effects their pathfinding is [NOFEAR], which just makes them not run away from a fight

diefortheswarm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 12:31:37 pm »

There are no obstructions preventing entrance into the fort.  I do have a 4 tile wide corridor leading down into my fort.  The corridor goes down 4 zlevels using ramps.  I don't know if that is a problem.  Also the Goblins have to pass though a 2 tile wide opening to get to the corridor.  This opening controls the direction that wagons enter the map from.

snuflufagus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 12:45:46 pm »

I've seen this problem before too.  On the only fort I ever built using downward ramps into an underground fort, invaders would just stand around outside and mill about.  Siegers don't seem to mind up ramps or stairs, but the down ramps may be breaking their pathing ability.  Of course, I haven't fully tested this hypothesis yet - there were a few other oddities in that fort that I had never done before...

I ended up dealing with that by sending my army out to meet the enemy (who then followed my routing soldiers back into my fort resulting in a massacre).  You might be able to fix it if you build a stairway access into your fort, perhaps a one tile stairway beside every row of ramps so as to keep chokepoints down and FPS up.

diefortheswarm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 07:20:45 pm »

Ok I restarted the fort and built staircases next to my ramps.  The first siege got into the fort without a problem.  The second siege, however, is still waiting by the edge of the map.

Phyroks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 10:07:23 pm »

I have the same problem in my current game.... Only way to get them to my fort is to send some bait to get them, and sometimes they do come next to my castle after the they have followed the bait and maybe kill 1 or 2 dwarfs, if no one engages them they just retreat all the way back to the edge of the map, in the 1st siege they did stand in the corner of the map for really long time and i could keep on doing what ever i was doing outside the fort with no problems, had to go prity darn close to pull them (its rather long map), 3rd siege and same problem...

I do use ramps but only in the fort walls. Will try make a door and stairs and see what happens.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 10:13:38 pm by Phyroks »

diefortheswarm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 11:23:14 pm »

Is anyone aware of the cause or a solution to this problem?

diefortheswarm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 02:33:23 pm »

What I am asking is, does anyone know how to make the goblins path into the fort properly WITHOUT baiting them?