Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: nasty water  (Read 676 times)

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
nasty water
« on: September 29, 2009, 03:42:09 pm »

i have a fortress in a cold region where most of the river and all the pools freeze from late autumn to early spring.

one part of the river flows through most of the winter, only freezing over in the mid winter.

During in the winter my dwarfs go thirsty if the beers out of stock. Despite having access to the following part of the river, ive checked their thoughts and they all have some thing like disqusted by nasty water. given that the only water they have acess to is the flowing river this must refer to the river.

Ive searched the wiki and these forums for 'nasty water' no threads? any ideas. my well may have solved the problem but im still curious as to the game mechanic?
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
Re: nasty water
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 03:46:59 pm »

The only time i've seen that thought pop up is when i don't have a well.
So building a well should remove it.

when water go stationary for a few weeks it may go "Stagnant" they'll go as long as possible without drinking it. that might cause it, not sure, I don't play cold maps...
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 03:59:12 pm »

...if the beers out of stock.

Well... don't do that!  Really, that's so critical - you should have a serious Brewer, and a dedicated Grower to provide them with fat stacks. (of plants, not the usual phat stacks.)

ive checked their thoughts and they all have some thing like disqusted by nasty water...

Ive searched the wiki and these forums for 'nasty water' no threads?

Well, did it say "disgusted by nasty water" or did it say "something like disgusted by nasty water?"  The wiki can't help you if you look for "something like" the right word.

"Stagnant" - that's the word you (probably?) saw, and the one you wanted to Search for.  Try the "water" article.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 04:10:20 pm by Albedo »

MrFake

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Elficidal Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 04:16:25 pm »

"nasty water" and "lack of well" are both thoughts; negative I assume.  From the string dump on the wiki.

Are you sure the dwarfs only have access to the flowing river, or that the river is always flowing in the winter?  Hell, flow is so bizarre in DF that even an unfrozen river may be considered "stagnant." Albedo's right about the booze: get some phat stacks!
Swordbaldness: a trial of patience.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 04:21:10 pm »

Never seen "nasty water". but I've seen "stagnant" - must be lucky, I guess.

Or maybe I build wells - one of those. 8)

("nasty water" added to wiki redirects -> water)

Jovialknight

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 10:48:37 am »

Perhaps it's something polluting the water? If I remember right, a corpse can do that.

A goblin just killed one of my dwarves and then executed the two babies she was carrying.

The father is doing perfectly fine. He's happy because he became a father recently.