Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Throwing a goblin down a pit: am I doing it wrong?  (Read 795 times)

TheBeardyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Throwing a goblin down a pit: am I doing it wrong?
« on: September 29, 2009, 06:58:16 am »

So, a goblin snatcher got caught in one of my cage traps. I figured out how to confiscate his weapons and armour (include the cage in a d-b-d, then use a non-recursive dumping method (k d or stocks menu) to undump the cage only), but it all went wrong when I tried to throw him down a pit. I have a 1x1 pit zone over a 1x1 pit going down 15 z-levels, and I constructed the goblin cage adjacent to the pit. I assigned the goblin to the pit, but when a dwarf finally got round to the job the goblin escaped.

Is there always a risk of this happening? Or am I doing it wrong?

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Throwing a goblin down a pit: am I doing it wrong?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 07:45:19 am »

This happened to me a lot i finally finished my magma death pit and as soon as i get some goblins the goblin just walks away as if the dwarf simply opened the door for him.

It only happened when I tryed to throw goblins down the pit, orcs from the "orcs more things to kill" mod work perfectly fine so I think the problem lies with the goblins maybe ??? .

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 07:48:14 am »

Generally this only happens when you try to move goblin theives/snatchers, normal gobos from raids or ambushes will quite happily be thown in your pit of doom, Least in my experience that's how its worked.  Good thing you removed his weapons. Snatchers tend to get stabby with the person trying to remove 'em from their cage :)
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Shakma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 07:53:03 am »

Yeah, snatchers can get away very easily.  Should still be able to dump them bu usually the problem is you build the cage and the dumping dwarf decides to dump from a different square.  Make sure you limit the squares that can be used to dump by building walls or just build the cage on a different side of the pit and it may fix it.

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 11:30:49 am »

There is always a chance of this happening, thieves/snatchers tend to escape most, and don't even try moving a megabeast like that.

This is a reason to keep the military close to any pitting you have going on, if you're using hammer- or macedwarves, they might still hit the goblin down the hole.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 11:40:30 pm »

Well I see your first problem, you aren't using enough magma...

But yeah, when it comes to dumping, I typically station my marksdwarves nearby to oversee the whole operation to make sure that any goblin that bolts for it, gets some bolts for its troubles... *rimshot*
Balanced Wheels is just rolling along

A small sign posted at the far end of the catapult range.

"In ToolCrew Microline strikes you!"

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 11:49:20 pm »

You could always construct the cage on a floor or something that has no access to anywhere, link up the floor to collapse with the same lever to deconstruct the cage, and pull the lever. That should work. At least, in theory.