Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Obsidian Bathysphere!  (Read 6506 times)

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Obsidian Bathysphere!
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2009, 12:48:40 am »

Why not just build it on the beach, and THEN flood the world with automated pumpstacks?
Cause then it would be flooded with freshwater not salt.

OK, OK, how about this:  if water gets displaced by cave ins, and water doesn't flow off the map edges, how about build a giant obsidian mountain in the sky, build your dome on the beach, and then drop the mountain into the ocean.  Displace all the ocean water, sea levels rise, and now the ocean covers the beach.
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

DeathOfRats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2009, 02:55:23 am »

Water does flow off map edges (unless ocean biomes are somehow different in that). It's magma that doesn't.

2xMachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2009, 02:56:32 am »

Shouldn't the fresh water created become salt water the moment it touches the ocean?

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2009, 11:40:33 am »

Shouldn't the fresh water created become salt water the moment it touches the ocean?

Indeed, according to the wiki it doesn't even have to touch salt water, just natural rock on an ocean biome.  But if water does flow off the edge of the map, then unless dumping a lot of water makes the game raise the natural ocean level, it wouldn't help much.

This also makes me wonder what would happen if you had an island where the aquifer is higher than the ocean level, and you dug out all around the island so that it's constantly weeping water off the sides of the island.
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

BradB

• Bay Watcher
  • I hate this site, it keeps me from playing!
    • View Profile
    • An awesome gaming news ticker, woweee!
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2009, 12:02:10 am »

That would be too damn cool for words!

You should dig out and drain the entire rest of the map, leaving only a floating island, with water forever pouring off it, out of a infinite source.

For extra points, build a human-style fort directly below the flying island and have everyone live in the mist.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2009, 12:24:37 am »

I actually have an idea for the glass city.  A temperate biome ocean with a summer thaw... bucket brigade, miners, then your glass haulers and masons hopping to their gods that they time their break just right.
Pages: 1 2 [3]