Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Possible Pathing Problem?  (Read 341 times)

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Possible Pathing Problem?
« on: September 29, 2009, 12:41:05 pm »

On the 16th Limestone 202 I got the message that my Hamlet Liason and the Dwarf Caravan had arrived, so I immediately ordered my dwarves to cart hundreds of stone mugs to the depot. On the 18th I had two idlers, five mugs at the depot, and a no merchants trading message at the depot. The merchants were physically still on the map, but they were leaving. In between I got no announcements about the merchants.

What could be causing this?

My best guess is that my entrance is too complicated for them. To get in my fortress you have to go up a constructed ramp, cross a tile of floors, cross a bridge, walk on some sand, and cross another bridge. But that did not stop the  human caravan a few months back. And it is possible to get through my entrance -- I checked with my crack squad of crossbowdwarves.

Meanwhile I'm moving the  depot. I prefer it to be just outside of my fort, so I can be a true arcology over the winter.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Possible Pathing Problem?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 12:54:39 pm »

An interesting twist -- there are two dead Batman and several bolts by my entrance. There's also a sizeable stack of merchanty stuff. The humans killed a couple batmen when they came in, so I just assumed the corpses were from them, but humans don't use bolts...

I did not notice the stack of trade goods because the top one is yellow and it's on yellow sand.

Apparently the batmen did not actually kill anyone in the caravan (no new bodies in the cemetery), but it does look like they scared the caravan off.

Nick

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 01:22:37 pm »

If one of the batmen managed to kill a merchant's pack animal, that would be enough to make the entire caravan turn around and leave.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 01:46:55 pm »

I think the batmen scared them off, sometimes traders run even before one of them dies.(Guards not included) I've had merchants start running as soon as one of them got a broken arm.

Besides that, humans can use both bows and crossbows, so the bolts were probably from a guard that already left.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.)