Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tragic Hero Cerol Nishshem  (Read 566 times)

Iverum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tragic Hero Cerol Nishshem
« on: December 14, 2009, 11:49:54 am »

Recently I had a strange event occur on my fortress. The fortress is about four years old and has recently been plagued with attacks from the nearby goblin civilization. I've been building up a small army, and I recently recruited about six dwarves to be trained into marksdwarves.

However, while I was attempting to get these fine young trainees squared away an ambush hit my woodcutter. It was a small force led by two elven bowmen and a small force of gobbos with pikes. My woodcutter was cut down quickly and I ordered my civilians inside and sent my squad of elite wrestlers after the group, and they and a couple stone fall traps made short work of three of the gobbos and both the elves.

I figured the soldiers would mop up the last three so I let my dwarves go back to their jobs. I happen to be building an aqueduct and as my masons went back to it they got ambushed. A larger force of gobbos led by a human struck them and killed an engineer and a few masons while I hurried to get my army to bear.

I ordered the civvies back inside and set my small force of sworddwarves out with my wrestlers, but the ambushers were a bit too fast. They managed to kill another dwarf before people got inside. Somehow a few of my recruits were still outside. They were a small force, about six of them, armed with crossbows.

The gobbos tore them apart until only three remained standing. The leader, Tosid Lidoslan, grabbed a hammer from one of the few gobbos the squad dropped with bolts. (I'd been reclaiming weapons as they fell.) He swung wildly and managed to kill one of the gobbos before he fell. The second in command took charge of the squad, only two remaining, and picked up the hammer that Tosid had dropped.

Cerol Nishshem entered a martial trance and became a Hammerdwarf. Singlehandedly she covered the retreat of the squad and killed five more gobbos without suffering a single wound. Devastated by the loss of her squad she trudged back to the barracks to rest as the remaining five goblins fled to be cleaned up by the sworddwarves.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
Re: Tragic Hero Cerol Nishshem
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 12:08:33 pm »

It was a dark and stormy night. Another long patrol, everyone was on edge. The Goblins and elves had been unceasingly hostile lately, more and more of us were being conscripted just to keep the fortress secure. We’d tried relying on traps, but the attacks are so frequent now we barely have time to reload the stonefalls. No one slept soundly through the relentless thudding of catapults overhead.

Our squad was mostly recruits, plump helmet still in their beard, barely fitting armor, if they had armor, scared and clutching their weapons tightly. A high pitched whine tore through the underbrush, leaves shredding until the sound abruptly ended with a thud. A wet gurgle, a gasp, and Urist McGoblinbait collapsed to the ground, arrow glistening with blood in the night.

The Squad leader reacted, though untrained he grabbed a hammer from one of the fallen gobbos, swinging wildly at the goblin nearest him, connecting solidly and hurling the limp corpse a few feet away, where it slammed against a tree and lay still. he turned to cut down another, and stopped suddenly as a spear was driven through his chest. Around me the other recruits were fighting, dying, being torn to pieces under the goblins' assault.

I ran forward, grabbing the bloody hammer and rage pounded through my veins. The head of the squad leaders killer was reduced to liquid, then another, and another. behind me I could hear my squad retreating, running back towards the gate as I laid waste to the attackers, dodging every blow they laid against me. I was filled with the glee of slaughter, the visceral ecstasy of death. eyes widened in shock I felt it leave, around me the swordsdwarves charged the remainder, I was weak, exhausted, I had to get back to the fortress. Sadly, I gazed upon my friends one last time. I hope they feel vindicated by my actions.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"