Around 40
- 41 (29.3%)
Around 80
- 29 (20.7%)
I don't lower the population cap.
- 54 (38.6%)

Total Members Voted: 140

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: How many of you stick to a low population cap?  (Read 7184 times)

Siber

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: How many of you stick to a low population cap?
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2009, 01:59:19 am »

I set my pop cap to, at most, 10. Often I try to set it to zero. I still get some immigrants though... nothing a good locked front door and some roaming alligators won't fix. Why? Well I have a computer with relatively limited performance, so I like to keep the FPS up with small maps and small populations. But more than that I find I enjoy it more, and develop more of a connection with both my dwarves and fort when there are fewer of them. Things take time to get done, sure, but the frame rate makes up for it. I suspect in the next version all these factors will be even more true.
BLOCKQUOTE>quote:
I''m not sure I''ve ever seen a computer game before where the AI was capable of going insane, throwing a tantrum, committing atrocities, comforting each other, and expressin

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2009, 02:14:47 am »

Do you think i have a need to limit population? ;-)

Finis sanctificat media.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2009, 03:19:09 am »

i never lower capt ( i capped it to 190 in a past fortress, to avoid being pushed over 200, but that is all). in fact, now i am seriously thinking about making it higher, since i need more dwarves to start a massive clothing industry. i already have 20, i need 20 more, or all i can get. this would, however, leave me without marksdwarves on the wall, which is something i would like to have since i have walls.
i will run at 30 fps at the end, but i have played with half of that in the past.

2xMachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2009, 03:53:41 am »

Hmm, I've plenty of industries (only 1 of each worshop or so), but I'm kinda stumped on what to have my immigrants do (i have about 60 now)... Probably dedicated haulers.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2009, 04:58:13 am »

that is probably because you don't have 70 dwarves who do only building jobs, and a 20 years building plan. it does wonders against idlers. for everyone else, that is why i decided to get one of the most massive cloth industries ever seen.  i plan to use 3-4 10x10 farm plots just for the cloth itself, and probably just as much for the dye. even after i reconvert the whole building industry, i still shouldn't have idle problems. stockpile problems, however, will be huge.

only FPS is stopping me... and that is something i can change (d# don't work well for me)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2009, 11:04:04 am »

that is probably because you don't have 70 dwarves who do only building jobs, and a 20 years building plan. it does wonders against idlers. for everyone else, that is why i decided to get one of the most massive cloth industries ever seen.  i plan to use 3-4 10x10 farm plots just for the cloth itself, and probably just as much for the dye. even after i reconvert the whole building industry, i still shouldn't have idle problems. stockpile problems, however, will be huge.

only FPS is stopping me... and that is something i can change (d# don't work well for me)

Instead of clothing, why not glass? Then you can pave the sky with glass blocks!
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
  • Half man. Half machine. All messiah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2009, 11:26:19 am »

Hahah, I RAISE the limit to 250, just for the difficulty.

I have never reached it, though. I end up in a tantrum spiral, so I just conscript all the useless and unhappy dwarves to become spear-dwarves.
Well treat me like the disease like the rats and the fleas, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Well treat me like the sea oh so salty and mean, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Let's shake hands if you want but soon both hands are gone, A-ha-ha!
Cut me down like a tree like the lumber or weeds, well discard who you please like the leaves off a tree. Drag me out of the sea and then teach me to breath. Give me forced health till I wish death on myself. Ah! Ha! Ha!
March on! March on! March on! March on! MARCH ON!

Beefree

• Bay Watcher
  • [FURRY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2009, 07:25:06 pm »

I typically keep my cap around 100 until I'm well prepared for another 100 Dwarves to wander in and settle down.
Dwarven immaterialism: If a burning dwarf falls in a fortress, and everyone is On Break, is there smoke?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]