Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: When will Toady fix wrestling?  (Read 840 times)

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
When will Toady fix wrestling?
« on: September 27, 2009, 02:07:45 pm »

I'm playing dig deeper, so I need most of my immigrant haulers as soldiers right now. I have them trained up to legendary wrestling, but now since I have no haulers getting my dwarves to dump the other soldiers armor out of their hands is very hard. They've already dumped the shields held in the right hand (though they won't pick them up, I presume that's because they still have armor in their left).

1. Is there any better way to do this? The only other way I know is to change the thought or brain tags to make them drop all their gear in one step, which is messy.

2. Do we have an itinerary on when Toady will be fixing this problem? It makes training soldiers in wrestling to give them dodge skill a pain in the ass.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
Re: When will Toady fix wrestling?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 02:17:05 pm »

You assume it's broken.  Talk to T about it.  I'm sure he'll love to hear from you.

I'm playing dig deeper, so I need most of my immigrant haulers as soldiers right now. I have them trained up to legendary wrestling, but now since I have no haulers getting my dwarves to dump...

You chose poorly.  Until I do have enough for both haulers and military, I never train them above level 13-14 in military skills, for just that reason.  (13, because wrestling can train quickly/accidentally in the field.)  At that level they're still more than good enough against anything but to sally out against a siege.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 02:40:51 pm »

I think Toady has acknowledged it as a bug, as dwarves have no real reason to hold onto the other soldiers gear after stripping it off, and in my experience even undrafting won't cause them to drop it (though you're right, they could dump each others gear I suppose). I swear I've heard him mention it as a bug though.

You're right though, I shouldn't have trained them into permanent soldiers. Labor hasn't been a problem prior to this, so I never really considered it an issue to keep them untrained.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 02:44:11 pm »

Toady has a loooooong list of points he has on his "gotta fix this" list.  If it's there, it's there. If not, it's not what he considers a priority - that, or he's just not excited about tackling it atm.

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=30026.0

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 02:54:11 pm »

If you equip wrestlers with shields, they will bash each other with the shields quite a bit.  This still trains wrestling, as shields have no weapon skill, and also trains shield use, as they will be using shields to block shields.  When they don't block successfully, they won't take as much damage as normal wrestling might do, as shields lack a defined damage value (again, from not being weapons) and will instead do a low amount of damage.  This works best with wooden shields.

However, it is important to make sure they unequip the shields before going into battle.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 02:56:14 pm by LegoLord »
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember