Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Paint blocks: a colorful idea!  (Read 1115 times)

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Paint blocks: a colorful idea!
« on: September 13, 2009, 07:01:26 am »

I was thinking of doing something whereby one could use the dwarven philosopher's stone (the smelter) to convert a raw material (generic stone blocks?) to specifically colored building materials.

Can the smelter accept "any block" or "any block made from stone" as acceptable inputs? If so, the reaction could go: "stone block"->"red block" (block with all of the properties of stone blocks, plus being colored red).

Might be cool. Any inputs?
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Paint blocks: a colorful idea!
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 07:23:56 am »

Yeah, this sort of thing shows up in a couple of mods, notably crash2455's Ice Mod, but I'm unsure as to whether anyone's done it with regular blocks.

If you're not thinking of doing it, I may as well make this right now...

Edit: Sorry, misread your post. Yeah, I think it's a great idea. Don't know how wide the choice of colours should be, though.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 07:37:37 am by 3 »

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 07:48:16 am »

Alas, 'any block' is not an allowed input, so you'd have to make a seperate reaction for each type of stone. And I think there's a limit on the number of reactions.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 07:49:31 am »

It could be any stone, which could be turned into a block of another stone type.

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 01:13:43 pm »

Perhaps you could add some more plants to use as dyes, with more colors, and then have reactions to make blocks out of those.  It's not as if "any stone blocks" are hard to come by, anyway, if you are looking for balance, and it would save you from writing a ton of redundant reactions.  The only issue is value.  Seeing as how you can't use the blocks to make furniture or similar, it would mean you could up the value of the colored blocks without concern that the player will just mill a bunch of plants and suddenly have a decked-out dining room.  (not to mention the additional detriment of being unable to engrave said block walls)

Interesting thought - though I'm fairly certain you can't use water as a reagent, you could set up a free reaction to make incredibly worthless mud blocks, so that players unable to reach stone (due to aquifers) could still set up some walls and fortifications.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 01:23:20 pm »

Keeping a mill operation running is more difficult than constructing a dining room anyway. Shuffling bags around, especially if you're also trying to get a glass industry running, can be a significant headache... not to mention the plethora of hauling tasks the seeds spawn.

With that in mind, why not produce coloured stone with that milled dye? Put it in as value 1 and there'll be no particular incentive to use it, and in fact you'll be losing the value of the milled stuff. Even if it's value 2, you're probably not getting much for free.

The problem, I suppose, is in getting that milled stuff to be a reagent. Isn't there a problem with stuff in containers? Or is that only in producing it?
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 11:54:20 pm »

Yeah, I think I remember reading someplace that it doesn't know how to check for things in containers for reactions of any sort. I'm going to slap out a fresh install folder and try this real fast.
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 12:25:35 am »

Slapped it together and did some testing. It's easy beyond reason... Smelter tags accept "any stone" and turn it into "red paint bars." It's designated as a metal for testing purposes, but it can't be used for anything but making vertical/floor bars (it uses the [BRITTLE] tag that pig iron has).

Testing block versions now.

Works fine.

I made it a metal because I don't know how to make it into a stone that won't be actually used outside of the smelter reactions. In my experience, putting the [DEEP] tag on a metal ensures that nobody will use that metal, even if they can theoretically produce it, aside from the fortress. (I once created [DEEP] Magmatite, a metal with all the properties of bauxite that could be refined at a punishing ratio from iron bars and that could be used to make mechanisms, a la HFS).

You could probably melt the paint blocks, at which point you'd wind up with paint bars which would be utterly useless for anything aside from making floor/vertical bars...

Also, you have to start out by making "primed blocks," which basically was my way of ensuring that my smelter wouldn't always be clogged by fifteen different "MAKE PAINT BLOCKS" reactions. Primed blocks are made from any stone and paint blocks are made from primed blocks...

I'm going to finish this one up some other time, once I feel like adding enough colors, and then if anyone cares I'll put it up for you.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 12:38:40 am by kefkakrazy »

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 12:32:35 am »

Alas, 'any block' is not an allowed input, so you'd have to make a seperate reaction for each type of stone. And I think there's a limit on the number of reactions.

About this, fairly certain that you can use the no matgloss for this though I haven't tried it out yet.

[REAGENT:1:BLOCKS:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:NO_MATGLOSS]

Should have the input be any stone block, and then the corresponding output would look like

[PRODUCT:100:1:BLOCKS:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:YOUR COLOR HERE]

With a valid stone /w associated color of course.

Edit: Of course someone basically said the same thing above me
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 12:34:10 am by ricemastah »

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009, 01:33:14 am »

I finished it up. I just need to pick a color for primed bars (probably white) and, of course, name them something that isn't nearly as dumb-sounding as "red paint blocks", and it's finished.

Kittah_Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2009, 04:33:49 am »

You can mod in reaction classes to stop ores and such from being used, just add a reaction class to all "basic" stones which have no other conceivable use, then use that reaction class in your colored stone/block reactions ( this only works for rough stone as input ).

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2009, 09:44:52 am »

Would that stop the colored blocks from being found naturally? That's my issue with adding them as stone... I don't know if it'll make them show up in the ground.

In any case, for my own purposes, having them be considered metal works just fine. It allows one to melt them down to make colored bars (for vertical/horizontal bars), and because of the strange ways I manage labor, it's actually easier to manage. I have a significant population of semi-unskilled workers, and masonry is one of their designated labors (so that they'll go and work on my constructions). I don't tend to seek out magma, so my metalworking is sporadic rather than constant, and it's easier to just use Dwarf Therapist and designate thirty laborers to take up metalsmithing than to do the same with masonry (since, while masonry jobs are nigh-constant, metalsmithing jobs are rather rare).

Anyone interested in a copy of this one?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 02:05:29 pm by kefkakrazy »

Kittah_Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 05:09:57 am »

Simply do not give your new stones an environment tag, this should keep them from spawning anywhere.

[MATGLOSS_STONE:COLORED_EXAMPLE]
[NAME:color stone][COLOR:0:7:1][TILE:'%']
[VALUE:2]

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2009, 08:23:17 am »

Heh, kind of funny. I'm about to start out on a mod that does this very thing (among other stuff). When custom workshops come around this will be great to have.

My plan is to make all the 'raw' stone one primary color so they all smooth into the same colored walls and produce the same colored chairs/tables/statues/etc. Then have reactions like these so you can color your fortress.