Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vampires, houses, and owned rooms  (Read 1102 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Vampires, houses, and owned rooms
« on: June 03, 2011, 04:20:27 pm »

In regrd to the upcoming introduction of vampires into the game, I would like to suggest something that I fear might otherwise go unnoticed or unimplemented. In many versions of vampire legends, a vampire cannot enter someone else's private property unless they are invited in. This should be included as one of the potential traits for procedurally generated forms of vampirism. It could be represented in-game by the vampire not being able to enter rooms assigned to specific dwarves (in fortress mode) and/or, of course, not being able to enter buildings in general (except their own lair or whatever), even when chasing someone who is visible to them (in adventurer mode).
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
Re: Vampires, houses, and owned rooms
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 05:21:22 pm »

How about also being unable to cross running water (brooks)

I havn't played adventure mode, does 'holy ground' exist? temples and the like, or are they still yet to come?
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 07:41:07 pm »

I think they are coming back in the next release, or one or two after.

Before someone else says it, just because some stories say something, we don't to have it in the game.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 08:04:13 pm »

I'm pretty sure some new types of temples (such as temples to titans) have actually been newly instated as of v0.31.25 and the immediately precceding versions (31.25 came at the end of a period of a couple of months when Toady was updating the game about once per week).

But you're right, the standard type of temple has been temporarily removed as of the previous few versions (and I too got the impression that Toady intends to reinstate them soon).
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Waparius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 12:54:06 am »

Of course if the Vampire is friends with a given dwarf in dwarf mode, they may well be able to enter their home with no problems...I like this idea.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 12:55:50 am »

Of course if the Vampire is friends with a given dwarf in dwarf mode, they may well be able to enter their home with no problems...

Good idea!
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 05:37:28 am »

and than eat his friend :P

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 06:18:01 am »

I like these ideas! Could add some real fun, swimming across a brook and seeing the vampire chasing you get REALLY angry... XD
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 12:36:50 pm »

In regrd to the upcoming introduction of vampires into the game, I would like to suggest something that I fear might otherwise go unnoticed or unimplemented. In many versions of vampire legends, a vampire cannot enter someone else's private property unless they are invited in. This should be included as one of the potential traits for procedurally generated forms of vampirism. It could be represented in-game by the vampire not being able to enter rooms assigned to specific dwarves (in fortress mode) and/or, of course, not being able to enter buildings in general (except their own lair or whatever), even when chasing someone who is visible to them (in adventurer mode).

Additionally, this would provide impetus to assign dwarves their own rooms in dwarf mode, as vampires would still be able to enter public barracks.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 01:45:11 pm »

i don't know how far world gen behavior effects the game, but i think a vampire should be able to enter room sin adv mode unless the people become suspicious at which case, you would be fighting it, and you would have a means of escape.

Although, maybe you could ask about surroundings in one civ and find out about a vampire who escaped, then go to a new civ and meat the vampire as a lord, and realize he is a vampire and fight him. He would then be able to enter rooms because the townspeople would allow him to enter thinking he was a normal person.
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson