Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Succession Game - OpenGL Question  (Read 527 times)

ErrorJustin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Succession Game - OpenGL Question
« on: September 28, 2009, 02:26:21 pm »

I run OSX so I'm using the OpenGL DF. If I want to start a succession game, everyone else will need to use the OpenGL release, correct?

Also, do they need to use the exact same release I'm using,  or can they use one of the earlier/later OpenGL revs?

Last Q - It's my first time with a succession game - what files do I need to pass along in order for the next person to get started? (Obviously the game save and world generation... but anything else? And Where are they?)

Thanks in advance!

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Succession Game - OpenGL Question
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 02:54:58 pm »

You in fact should be able to use any version of DF back to the start of the 3D days, I think; that's the last time savefile formats got changed if I'm not completely wrong. Anyway, any 40d version is certainly fine.

All you should need for the next player to be able to take over is the savefile and any mods that are installed.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 03:14:00 pm »

Not only are all of the 3D versions backwards-compatible, but all of the 40d series are also forwards-compatible, so a save from any 40d version can be used with any other 40d version (including the first one without the rendering improvements).

And unless I'm mistaken, DF has always used OpenGL, or at least for a long time before the recent stuff.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

ErrorJustin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 03:23:11 pm »

Re: OpenGL - maybe I'm not saying the right thing?

All I know for certain is that GF never used to be OSX (or Linux) native, and now it is. I thought this was why.

Thank you for the replies, though :)

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 03:47:28 pm »

What are you talking about?  ???
I've been running regular 40d in OS X for the whole year since it was released.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 04:24:15 pm »

All of 0.28.181.40dX (X = 0 through 16) are cross-compatible in terms of saves.

All versions of DF use OpenGL.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

ErrorJustin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 08:07:15 pm »

What are you talking about?  ???
I've been running regular 40d in OS X for the whole year since it was released.

I'm not talking about just this year :)

I've been playing since 2D, when it used to be .exe only. I don't remember when a native mac version was first released.

I was mainly concerned with whether the succession game saves would be compatible across mac and PC, and it sounds like they are. So... yay.