Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Royal "demands"  (Read 348 times)

Ashmore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Royal "demands"
« on: September 27, 2009, 02:16:22 am »

My current fortress is at the point where I'm preparing it for the incoming king, and I started thinking about that ruler character who shows up and then doesn't do much more once his living arrangements are to his satisfaction. There should be something more, and I thought that maybe he should require things to be done on a fortress wide scale. Things to improve the dwarven grandeur of the mountainhome, more or less.

It could be thinks like building a certain value of architecture (maybe a specific requirement for it to be above ground for the challenge). Or placing a certain amount of masterwork statues. That sort of thing.

Now, before everyone everyone starts thinking about levers and fun... these requirements should be different from the nobles' mandates in several ways. They should be more about quality or value and not have any material requirements. And there should be very little time pressure, and most of all they should be about getting a reward rather than avoiding penalty. I'm thinking something like a festive time that gives free happy thoughts once the project is completed. Maybe even speed things up for a while, like a Golden Age in Civ 4.

In summary, you will have the king saying "Well, it's a splendid place we have here... but it can never be too splendid, can it? Make us fifty fine statues to adorn these halls. Oh, you can take your time and make it well, and when it's done we'll hit the barrels and celebrate the Mountainhome."
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 02:19:08 am by Ashmore »