Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No Water  (Read 879 times)

Paranatural

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No Water
« on: September 25, 2009, 09:58:52 am »

I'm on a map that has some forest and 'murky pools', but the summer is so hot that all the water evaporates away pretty quickly after a rain. This means even the most minor of injuries is a death sentence. Plus I get spammed with pages and pages of 'no water source'. Am I basically just screwed?
The corpses appear to be primarily concentrated under the dead cat.  - Untelligent
Mental Health 6/6. You easily comfort yourself knowing that Paranatural's Hot Stubble And Deliciously Unwashed Armpits will be  waiting for you whatever happens.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: No Water
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 10:00:52 am »

If you can dig an underground cistern next to one of the pools, any water that makes it inside will not evaporate from the heat.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 10:01:25 am »

channel some of the murky pools underground when they fill up, then wall off the exit to make sure there isnt an entrance to your fortress there...
ninja'd

Paranatural

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 10:04:10 am »

Awesome. Will my dwarves be able to fish from that, btw?
The corpses appear to be primarily concentrated under the dead cat.  - Untelligent
Mental Health 6/6. You easily comfort yourself knowing that Paranatural's Hot Stubble And Deliciously Unwashed Armpits will be  waiting for you whatever happens.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 10:23:58 am »

I was on a map like that recently, except that for two years it did not rain, period, and my dwarves were killed by nine giant cave swallows and a horde of troglodytes. In the reclaim, which saw the water magically restored, I simply built a ceiling on top of a nearby murky pool, and it stopped evaporating.

Of course, this meant that I could not build a well because the water would eventually run out. Don't know if buckets decrease the water either.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

MrFake

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Elficidal Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 10:45:14 am »

Buckets decrease the water.
Swordbaldness: a trial of patience.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 11:29:27 am »

I thought so, considering the typical results of bucket brigades. Ah well, it's only a matter of time until I breach the underground river somewhere in the map.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 11:49:47 am »

I thought so, considering the typical results of bucket brigades. Ah well, it's only a matter of time until I breach the underground river somewhere in the map.
Dependnig on whether rain ever occurs (I suppose it should), you might be able to build 'slurpers' (either actual pumps or just a system of floodgates or overhung drainaways) that take the slightest bit of water and immediately conveys it out of the open air.

Noting that you should avoid letting it sit as a couple of (or more) 1/7th depths if you can have 2+/7ths in a spot (to this end, use your hydrodynamic wiles to dump it into a 1x1 wide 'well-shaft'[1], capable of receiving as much water as you'd want, but only ever having one possible 1/7th height at the top[2] that might disappear, the rest being happy to sit there.

If your pools do significantly fill, albeit seasonally and transiently, then they could be connected to subterrainean water-repositories via hatches/other gates operated by pressure-plates, but you could end up 'chomping' more of the water than if manually operating in an optimal manner.

(At least that's how I often try it, but when the rainfall is very low it's rarely that easy, so not sure if it works better or worse than other methods.)

[1] With a gate at the bottom to release the column into a large chamber (not too large for the column, lest is spread out too thinly) if/when you find you have enough, and possibly additional successive gates and additional successive chambers so that if each further stage fills sufficiently you can give it even more room.  But that's probably too optimistic.

[2] Not sure if 1/7th water above a body of other water is immune or not to evaporation, I don't usually let it stand long enough to find out.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 11:58:11 am »

Yea, if you are in a desert, be prepared for the inevitable possibility of no rain. Some places can see no rain for years.  There are places in the Atacama desert which have not seen rain for centuries.

It might be possible to find a desert/wasteland/badland with high rain because in my using the Ultrafinder, I found a site which had high rainfall, but the site was mountain and rocky wasteland (no trees, no shrubs, nothing). Since there was jungle on the other side of those mountains, that kind of partially explains itself.

The norm is that deserts have low rainfall, so there was probably some sort of weather pattern going on in that instance. I didn't embark there so I don't know the exact conditions.

Offtopic though, it would be cool to have flash floods in places where you get alot of rain all at once.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2009, 05:26:45 pm »

wiki: cistern. 

(Admittedly, not one of the more intuitive key words - gotta fix dat.)

smokingwreckage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2009, 10:33:06 pm »

smjjames: if the game simulates "rainshadow" it would make sense to have high rainfall on one side of a mountain range and none on the other side.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2009, 12:00:48 am »

That wouldn't surprise me.  Toady seems to be interested in modeling many different natural features to one extent or another.  Ore seems to be "regional", rather than purely random, and the weather certainly seems to be more complex than players have nailed down.

Manchild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2009, 12:12:04 am »

ive noticed alot about how the weather affects the environment. more rainfall means more rivers, which means less deserts... usually.

there does seem to be a slight chaos factor in the weather and region areas, but most of it seems to follow a general set of quite advanced factors....

Large forests seem to be on more mountainous maps, and savannas and plains seem to be on not so mountainous maps. most forests are touching a mountain range somewhere, and most of my non mountainous Volcanoes are either in the ocean or in the plains....
least for me.

im still trying to figure out the weather system and its(if any) association with the landscape.

all i seem to really notice is that it rains more on river and forest maps and less on desert and glaciers..... :P which is kinda basic, but im having trouble keeping a fort alive right now.
There are two types of Christians:
Those that believe in God,

And those that suffer from retardation.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2009, 04:43:57 am »

smjjames: if the game simulates "rainshadow" it would make sense to have high rainfall on one side of a mountain range and none on the other side.

I know, and it is set up to do so. Still, the high rainfall should have been on the rainforest side and not the desert side. I think it was a low portion of the mountain range, so some could have leaked over.

I don't have that world anymore, so I can't investigate into further detail.

As Albedo said, there was probably some more complex weather pattern going on.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2009, 06:13:25 am »

wiki: cistern. 

(Admittedly, not one of the more intuitive key words - gotta fix dat.)
See also Wiki:Reservoir.  They also don't (currently, wikis of course may change, and I may even get a login and make such a change) mention storage of water with rarity, only to avoid it your (abundant) natural source freezing/being sieged.  The art of carefully moving the occasional rainfall spill-off into a usable store might be instructive to insert.  And I'm sure someone has done that better than I have.