Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: DENIAC - The 2 floor, 6 bit mechanical adder.  (Read 8117 times)

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
Re: DENIAC - The 2 floor, 6 bit mechanical adder.
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2009, 03:57:58 pm »

the top pump's gear is disengaged via lever, top and bottom pump's gears both connected to the pressure plate; since gears toggle, when the system is engaged, the lower pump moves the chunk of water to the pressure plate, the plate triggers, the upper pump moves the water and drops it to the collection point of the power pump.... which is currently inactive, and will remain so until the pressure plate untriggers in 100 steps.  If you disengage the main power gear, there's 100 chances the water will be in the resevoir, and 1 chance it will be on the trigger, so maintainance(read, adding traps to the plate) is fairly simple.  With my other design, the pumps before and after the pressure plate are toggled by it and the other two pumps are always on, so the speed is the same, but the power requirements are larger(but you can do more stupid dorf tricks with it, like making the water stay on every square for 100 steps using alternating 0/7 water and 7/7 plates and each trigger connect to a different set of traps that will then fire in sequence).  With the two pump setup, you can probably safely connect the resevoir to an infinite water source, but that would probably be a bad idea with the four square one unless you like soggy dorfs.

Hm, interesting.  My main endeavor for now is creating a toggle flip-flop using something very much like CMOS transmission gates.  Seems like that should be the simplest flip-flop design.  I'm trying to make a 100% self-resetting suicide booth, that triggers and resets no matter which way the lever is pulled.  Gear assys toggling helps, but I need a flip-flop as a frequency halver, since plates always send on and off signals.  I also want to set the lever up to a counter, keeping track of nobles, soapers, potash makers, etc., killed.  Combine with a 7-dwarf hermit game, and it could be some kind of Fun.

I'll have to remember your timer design.  Seems like a good, easily fine-tunable design.  All kinds of way to change the frequency.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 04:00:09 pm by Arrkhal »
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]