Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: firepole  (Read 832 times)

stonemt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
firepole
« on: September 21, 2009, 07:33:23 pm »

i have built (as i keep telling my family) a 17 z level free standing open air staircase. my dads first words were "when are you building the firepole"...
i think this sounds awsome!!

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
Re: firepole
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 08:28:02 pm »

I think you should specify that you mean a fireman's pole.  I was envisioning some sort of sentient pillar of fire.

It would be cool, but unfortunately it faces the problem of being one-way.  The current pathfinding system just doesn't allow for it.  Besides, the average dwarf would probably be terrified of falling, even if its controlled.  Elves, on the other hand...
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

snaggles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 09:00:47 pm »

Ooooooh?
Is that a tree down there?

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 11:29:55 am »

One of the recent three-toe stories mentioned chutes (Obviously I liked the quote.), so presumably one way path-finding is planned at some point.

Love the idea, though. I would build my barracks directly over the entry courtyard, with quick access by firepole.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 03:47:49 pm »

One of the recent three-toe stories mentioned chutes (Obviously I liked the quote.), so presumably one way path-finding is planned at some point.

Love the idea, though. I would build my barracks directly over the entry courtyard, with quick access by firepole.

To be fair, I think Toady bases some of the decisions on where the game will go on Threetoe's stories, not the other way around. So some of the things in Threetoe's stories won't be implemented, regardless of how cool they'd be. However, updating pathfinding and task managing is something I think Toady has planned, so we'll see.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 05:21:19 pm »

To be fair, I think Toady bases some of the decisions on where the game will go on Threetoe's stories, not the other way around. So some of the things in Threetoe's stories won't be implemented, regardless of how cool they'd be.

I don't think those two sentences are consistent.  I'm guessing the second sentence expresses what you mean.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 02:28:51 am »

To quote:

Threetoe's Stories, and Analysis

One method of coming up with fun ideas is to write stories. Here we have artistic narratives written by Threetoe. Read and enjoy!

The stories were analyzed by Threetoe and Toady One for game content. A story's analysis tries to include only those ideas which haven't already been added to the development pages or a previous analysis

So yeah, not everything in the stories is gonna go in, but it's far more likely than just a random suggestion on the forums. The 'Chutes' thing was specifically mentioned in the analysis, so I'm hopeful.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.