Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: First aid ? medical aid ?  (Read 2997 times)

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
Re: First aid ? medical aid ?
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2009, 11:55:52 am »

Actually, the Adamantine can be bent, pulled, and other things. It would just take nothing short of a 500 z-level tower of lead falling on a mile long bridge of it. Or something else with great force. It also has no elasticity, meaning that it would take the same force to return it to its original state. Forging would be just short of impossible unless it became super-malleable (in comparison to its normal state) once heated to a certain temp. Otherwise, nothing short of casting it would work. And you could imagine trying to melt it.
Urist McSmelter cancelled casting adamantine war hammer: Face melting
Nothing important here, move along.

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2009, 08:54:03 pm »

Urist McSmelter cancelled casting adamantine war hammer: Face melting

After consideration, I decided that McSmelter's face was melting because Urist McSlash was wailing on his new adamantine electric guitar strings.  Those would sustain longer than the lifespan of the instrument.  (Or not at all?  Maybe Toady hasn't implemented elasticity as an actually useful property yet, and just filled in most everything with zeros to save time.)
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2009, 09:09:25 pm »

Yea, those raws were posted back in january or last december, so there could be changes.

Anyways, the fact that adamantine has such a high melting point and you'd need the strength of a stars gravity in order to bend it, puts into question how the hell do you forge it in the first place?

Might as well be a fragment of a neutron star.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2009, 05:16:53 pm »

Actually, that would make an interesting weapon. All you'd have to do is lift it and drop it, and nothing in a 500-foot radius would survive.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2009, 05:24:46 pm »

That's assuming lifting it doesn't kill you in the first place.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2009, 05:25:47 pm »

Or touching it.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2009, 05:45:15 pm »

Oooh yeah, I don't think anyone's considered how armor that basically doesn't crumple would transfer energy.

The way I figure it, being hit by a rock while wearing adamantine armor would kill you.

Gasp. That must why the Ewoks beat the Stormtroopers!

Adamantine armor is not looking very good right now.

The Ewoks beat the Stormtroopers because... they're Stormtroopers. They can't hit anything, you'd have to beam down in a red shirt to be killed by those things (oh shit, I mixed fandoms). Meanwhile the Ewoks were frikin rock snipers.

Adamantine armor would be the perfect armor against piercing weapons, essentially bows, swords, axes, and spears would be worthless, and even without any give it would hold up very well against maces and hammers. I'd still wear it over steel if I had the choice.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2009, 06:52:45 pm »

Actually, if stormtroopers try to kill the red shirt they miss, red shirts are destined to die so they kill each other.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2009, 06:53:32 pm »

Oooh yeah, I don't think anyone's considered how armor that basically doesn't crumple would transfer energy.

The way I figure it, being hit by a rock while wearing adamantine armor would kill you.

Gasp. That must why the Ewoks beat the Stormtroopers!

Adamantine armor is not looking very good right now.

The Ewoks beat the Stormtroopers because... they're Stormtroopers. They can't hit anything, you'd have to beam down in a red shirt to be killed by those things (oh shit, I mixed fandoms). Meanwhile the Ewoks were frikin rock snipers.

Adamantine armor would be the perfect armor against piercing weapons, essentially bows, swords, axes, and spears would be worthless, and even without any give it would hold up very well against maces and hammers. I'd still wear it over steel if I had the choice.

That's because it gives epic happy thoughts.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2009, 11:54:58 pm »

It's recommended that you wear GCS silk and/or unicorn leather padding underneath the Adamantine. Not even HFS could stand a chance. Heck, you might even be able to go into the HFS. Talk about fun, at least for the demons.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2009, 11:55:54 pm »

Nice strategy, might use it when my advenrurer cleans out the pits.

killaconcarnage

• Bay Watcher
  • ROBOFISH
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2009, 04:58:25 am »

Sigh, I swear to god if I ever become wealthy I'm just going to give Toady enough cash to live on and tell him to finish this thing.

I'd rather just clone him once or twice. "Here are more programming geniuses, who think exactly like you. Now there can be thrice the love!"

But yeah those raws look awesome, and we must now bring up a philosophical question. What happens when an unstoppable weapon (adamantine) meets an invincible soldier (adamantine-armored)?

According to google images, this

No this
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 05:00:05 am by killaconcarnage »

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2009, 08:38:42 am »

the dwarfs will try to fly.
(the dwarf is not imoveble)
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG
Pages: 1 2 [3]