Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Butchering Goblins  (Read 1020 times)

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Butchering Goblins
« on: September 21, 2009, 09:16:04 pm »

I'm sick and tired of fending off goblin sieges and only have bones and skulls to show for it. If nothing else, I want to be able to make a goblin tallow soap tower to station a few dozen goblin leather armour-clad marksdwarves armed with goblin bone crossbows and goblin bone bolts. To this end, I've made these changes to the the dwarf ethics entity_default file:

[ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_OTHER:ACCEPTABLE]
   [ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_KILL:ACCEPTABLE]
   [ETHIC:MAKE_TROPHY_SAME_RACE:ACCEPTABLE]
   [ETHIC:MAKE_TROPHY_SAPIENT:ACCEPTABLE]
   [ETHIC:MAKE_TROPHY_ANIMAL:ACCEPTABLE]

But they don't butcher goblins they find dead in traps or that they kill personally, or dead humans and elves killed in goblin ambushes, for that matter. I've generated a few worlds since I made this change. I don't see anything in the goblin's entry in creature_standard that would impede butchering. I've done a few searches and checked the wiki and haven't found anything beyond people saying that the above changes should work.
 I'm using 40d16, no tileset, only other changes are a handful of new creatures and a new plant. The new creatures have [CAN_SPEAK][CAN_CIV][CAN_LEARN] but not [INTELLIGENT] and can be butchered without issue(besides triggering an election if you butcher the mayor).

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 09:41:20 pm by Nidokoenig »

Rvlion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Butchering Goblins
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 03:26:17 pm »

I am currently playing a modified race of dragons instead of dwarfs and earlier today I noticed for the first time that one of the Kobold thiefs that was killed was taken from the refuge pile and taken to the butcher shop… Not really sure how or why… I wonder if it really has something to do with Ethics, maybe I got a different tag I am currently not aware of.

Holy Mittens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 03:27:26 pm »

Not being able to butcher sentients is hard coded, from what I've seen.

Also, you shouldn't be able to butcher anything with the [CAN_LEARN] tag as far as I am aware, since that's the tag that makes them sapient.

Rvlion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 03:58:45 pm »

Not being able to butcher sentients is hard coded, from what I've seen.

Also, you shouldn't be able to butcher anything with the [CAN_LEARN] tag as far as I am aware, since that's the tag that makes them sapient.
The fact that we shouldn’t be able to do something, doesn’t mean that for some strange reason it is not still possible… Also for some extra background information about the death of the average hostile in my fortresses… The Kobold gets hit by a size 20 dragon and after that hit it slamms against a cliff about 5-10 tiles away with bodyparts all over the place and as such probably no longer recognizable as sapient...  ;D

For some strange reason the kobold butchering happened twice in the same game, but never seen it before this particular game (playing both Dwarfs and Dragons alike)… So unless there is an animal also using the kobold “k” then the things that were butchered were definitly kobold thiefs. I will keep an eye out to see if it actually happens again, Normally I hardly pay any attention to my “antfarms” butchering activities to be honest. I do like to check my refuge pile to see if all the corpses that get killed end up there and not in some 3-wide corridor.
I will try to check what will happen when I use the butcher a dead animal command.

For my current dragon civ it would be cool to be able to live only from meat, partly from breeding and everything else from butchering the dead goblins/kobolds that come to visit me quite often and then simply remove indoor farming.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 04:28:29 pm »

Rvlion, Check your z-Kitchen menu for Kobold fat, meat and tallow, or look for kobold hides in z-Stocks. If you find some, post your creature's entity entry. Probably be an idea to check you kobolds' entity entry, too, see if they've got any changes you've forgotten.

Well, Mittens, I'm able to butcher my "slaves" when I decide to bring them. Maybe it's because goblins have an entry in the entity file, or maybe [INTELLIGENT] is greater than the sum of its parts. I suppose I could always just make up a smelter reaction to convert goblin corpses.

Holy Mittens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 11:43:29 pm »

Ahh! Ok, you're making them tameable. Yes, as far as I know, if they are tame you can designate them for slaughtering. It doesn't matter

But you can't kill a non-tame one and then have its corpse butchered.

Also, I'm not sure if you can use the smelter to accept corpses. I know I tried for a while and couldn't get it to work.

Rvlion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 02:53:30 am »

I am afraid that if meat was recovered from the corpses it has long been eaten (kinda without any food at the moment), I do however have 2 Kobold leather in my stocks.

I am afraid that so far I have not been succesful in reproducing this happy event potential “bug”, not even by starving my creatures and for now call this a non-reproducable bug.  ???

As for my dragons ethics…
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As for my Kobold files…

Entity
Creature file…

Rvlion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 05:42:14 am »

Newly generated world, exact same location as before and now I have 6 goblin meat and 2 goblin leather hides...

http://rapidshare.com/files/283864537/DF_Mod_Test.zip.html

Does it have something to do with my happiness being low because none of my dragons have a room or no barracks have been constructed.

ps. the zip file is my full modded game with current example as only savefile as I use it now, things that have been changed I changed myself.

I am really wondering why goblins in this game and kobolds in my previous game are butchered eventhough it was only 2 out of 6 goblins.

Holy Mittens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 04:58:59 pm »

Did you breach the HFS? Because if you did, that's probably where you got it, as there tends to be sentient meat and hides lying around.

Rvlion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 05:07:55 pm »

I have a HFS in the region, but I have in no way breached the HFS nor located the Adamantium/Adamantine ore.
When the first goblin in my current game was butchered I had only dug into z 0 and z-1... while according to reveal the ore starts at z-3 or z-4.

However this whole butchering stuff is way to random for my taste, would love to keep my fortress running on goblin and kobold meat...

Ow well it did give me a nice Kobold bone battle claw (equivalent to a sword skill weapon).

Charmander

• Bay Watcher
  • [!!TAIL!!]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2009, 08:37:20 pm »

I had Kobold meat biscuits all of once.

I have no idea what caused it, and I don't know why it never cropped up again. Maybe he just happened to get ripped apart by guard dogs on a convenient refuse pile, or something.