Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven Trap Defense Fortress  (Read 1073 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Dwarven Trap Defense Fortress
« on: September 18, 2009, 04:37:15 pm »

Here's one for you: Remove almost all natural resources from the game world, except as corpse drops from a bewildering assortment of invading forces that come en mass.

Then, you and your dwarves must dig into your mountain and put in hundreds- no, thousands- of traps to crush, maim, slice, bash, drown, burn, smash, hammer, Arrow'd, and kill waves of invaders for the tasty, tasty ores, metals, food, booze, and even gems, that they carry.

How's that sound?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
Re: Dwarven Trap Defense Fortress
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 04:44:54 pm »

What would dwarves drop? Something useful to tempt players into killing them off?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 05:00:44 pm »

I like the way you think... but actually, I think that they might just drop a lump of boiling stone. This will encourage players to usually avoid anything that might lead to a dead dwarf, since this tends to set off other dwarves, and so on. However, if things get bad, they do have the option of sending three or four peasants into the breach.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 09:12:34 pm »

Dwarf TD. Make it happen.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 11:44:19 am »

1: Want to make dwarves explode when attacked, but also want them to survive world gen. Not working yet...

2: Wars refuse to happen. Dwarves and Goblins are set to never give nor take tribute, and disagree on everything (dwarves have LYING:PUNISH_CAPITAL and goblins have EAT_SAPIENT_OTHER:ACCEPTABLE and so on). It's getting pretty crazy how nice everybody is to everybody.

3: Need a bunch of creatues, need a way for them to swarm past traps, and need a way for them to come in waves. I think a couple different siegeing civs would work- each one with a higher invasion level and more valuable corpse items.

4: I decided to scrap the current metals and have 7 anonymous levels of metal- from L1 which does 40% damage to L8 which does 200%. Each successive level is made by smelting the previous level with something else. Thus, you'll be melting down and reforging your weapon traps a lot to continue upgrading them, and no resource will stop being useful.

5: I also want to make most food difficult to grow yourself- instead, you need to buy it from the caravan, which you can pay with gold/silver/copper bars from the slain enemies.

Here's the metal tree:
L1 : smelted from the ore. --- 40%
L2 : L1 + Flux --------------- 50%
L3 : 2 bars of L2 ------------ 60%
L4 : L3 + "Retinite ore" ------ 80%
L5 : L4 + raw green glass --- 100%
L6 : L5 needs to be smelted to slag, then two slag bars are smelted into L6. Slag: 5% L6: 120%
L7 : L6 + refined Retinite ----- 150%
L8 : L7x2 + Crystal Glass ----- 200%

Thus, to get one bar of L8, you need: a cut crystal glass gem, two bars Retinite, four raw green glass, four additional retinite ore boulders, eight flux boulders, and eight units of metal ore, plus enough fuel to smelt each reaction together.

Some invaders carry weapons or armor of various levels, and others have item_corpses of ingredients like rock crystal.

To counter some of the increased micromanagement of the metal industry, I think that dwarven tastes have to be changed a little. While the need for food, booze, and sleep will be maintained, I think that I might give them [NO_THOUGHT] to go with such tags as SEVERONBREAKS and so.

I think that as many organs should be loppable as possible, so that when you look at your trap corridor after the latest goblin siege, you will see goblin fingers, arms, heads, eyeballs, ears, kidneys, brains, tongues, guts, hearts... I think it will add something to the flavor of the game. Also, most critters will be given NOSMELLYROT so that it will remain possible to see your fortress... otherwise it will definitely remain permanently coated in miasma. Maybe one or two stench creatures will get in, I guess.

EDIT: Also, need a creature that will likely be able to get through 30 masterwork L8 serrated disk*5 weapon traps alive and start killin' things.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 11:52:30 am by PTTG?? »

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 01:43:34 pm »

For that edit, [trAPAVOID]. Nothing else will suffice. A line of traps like that would take out anything.

Protactinium

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SALT:CHILD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 03:37:14 pm »

I like the way you think... but actually, I think that they might just drop a lump of boiling stone.

That is honestly cool enough and thematically reasonable to add in to a normal game--the idea that dwarves are actually created from stone and when 'killed', revert back to their original composition before deteriorating. I like the idea of your mod, and while I'm probably not going to use it, I am stealing this idea for my personal game. ;D
The thing that confuses me about dorfs is this. Dorf 1 dies in an avalance or somesuch. Dorf 2 is friends with dorf 3 and dorf 1. Dorf 2 berserks because of his friends death and kills dorf 3. also a friend. W. T. F.
Clearly you've never been drunk.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 03:45:55 pm »

In that case, it should be a statue. Too bad that the quality of the statue has to be static. I imagine that champions and nobles should give better statues once killed, but that is not the case.

DTDF would end up a bit more action-y. Closer to Kobold Quest.

ousire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2009, 04:05:36 pm »

mods like this is one of the reasons i love dwarf fortress. we can rewrite the entire basic concept of the game and rewrite it into some insane tower/trap defence fortress thing, even changing all the metals into "levels" like different levels of turrets

awsomest mod idea ever!

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 03:19:22 pm »

EDIT: Also, need a creature that will likely be able to get through 30 masterwork L8 serrated disk*5 weapon traps alive and start killin' things.

You might try some sort of giant centipede monster, with no pain or bleeding, of course.  Give it a bunch of body segments, with only the first few needed for survival.  Lots of legs, and perhaps some claws or tentacles or some such on its back.  Give it a pretty fast speed, so it won't take a long time to get through the traps.

I'm not sure if this would actually work, but I can picture 'em scuttling through hallways full of blades, getting limbs lopped off right and left, sometimes getting sliced right in half, and just coming on through...
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2009, 04:43:19 pm »

Now we're talkin'!

Actually, this might be best done in the next version (Dwarf Fortress Forever), when we can have creatures bleed valuable substances. Then we can have a Metalic Wurm creature. If it gets killed in your traps, you'll need to send dozens of dwarves in to collect the bits and melt them all down.