Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Whips, ropes , balistas  (Read 991 times)

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Whips, ropes , balistas
« on: September 20, 2009, 10:36:10 am »

Whips should act like ropes when not held.
Note that when I talk about climbing and swinging, you should be able to do it with ropes.

Whips should have a length that determines from how many tiles away you can whip, longer whips take more rope/ whatever made of, also takes more skill. Perhaps when whipping from more than a tile away, it draws a line, using crossbow bolt symbols, from you to the target for a step or if it gets stuck in until it is unstuck. Stuckin should count as grapple, which ill explain next.

A sufficiently skilled lasher should be able to 'grapple' things with his whip, whereby the whip would act like a rope attached to the object but will roll against smoothness based on skill. If the object is light enough (determined by strength) and not fixed in place then you can grapple it then 'tug' the whip to bring the object back to you:
Where S is a cave spider silk sock:
Code: [Select]
@    S

@---S

@

Or if the object is heavy enough or fixed in place, you can swing on it or climb it:
Swinging: where O is a cielling:

O

@

-O
  --
@-      

O
        |
        |
       @

O-
         --
           -@

Climbing:
█ is wall, B is bronze collosus corpse:
                   B
                █ 
                █ 
             @ @█

╔---B
              |█ 
              |█ 
            @ @█

╔---B
              @█ 
              |█ 
              @█

@---B
              |█ 
              @█ 
              |█

╔@--B
              @█ 
              |█ 
              |█

"Crap, that aint a corpse!"
                /
              ╔@@B
              |█ 
              |█ 
              |█

Oh and you can 'tug' the rope/whip to undo the temporary knot.
You should also be able to grapple stuck ins to pull them, either tearing them out or causing pain.
Last thing: attaching ropes to ballista arrows to either rope in a mega beast or send siege ropes over a wall.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 10:45:59 am by alfie275 »
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: Whips, ropes , balistas
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 02:02:01 pm »

Hmm, bit complex, but hey, this is DF. I do like the siege rope idea very much. Could be very cool...
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 02:41:37 pm »

i like the idea too, but i cannot think of any easy way to do it. it would probably require the writing of a slew of new code modules as well as a bunch of new tags. we also need to define what happens to things when the weight is almost equal. in the cliff example, will we need a "friction coefficient" to find out if an object is dragged off the edge? in combat, what happens if a kabold "grapples" a giants arm? can that be turned against the kabold (can the whip be ripped out of his hands by the giant, and the whip then used by the giant as a weak flail)?
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 03:00:26 pm »

I think Toady wants to implement a lot of this, as I've seen things about creatures chained down being strangled if they fall, and in the discussion about boats, having a sea serpent coiled around a stake in the water and the mast of a boat.

in combat, what happens if a kabold "grapples" a giants arm? can that be turned against the kabold (can the whip be ripped out of his hands by the giant, and the whip then used by the giant as a weak flail)?

It should.  If the whip would function like a stuck-in, in that it becomes attached to the part in question, the giant should be able to shake the kobold off, with the whip remaining in place.  Then the giant could choose to remove the whip much like a creature deciding to pull out an embedded arrow.

Viva la Urist "Indiana" McJones!  All of this sounds great, if not hilarious.  The siege stuff should be constrained mostly to adventure mode, though I can see why you would want dwarves to launch goblin prisoners over the wall.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

TSB

• Bay Watcher
  • It's the TSB experience.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 05:36:32 pm »

in combat, what happens if a kabold "grapples" a giants arm? can that be turned against the kabold (can the whip be ripped out of his hands by the giant, and the whip then used by the giant as a weak flail)?
To further this, if the kobold should remain holding the whip as the giant pulls, shouldn't the giant be able to use the whip to smash the kobold against the wall/floor/mule or send him flying?

Urist Mcdwarf cancels brewing: Interrupted by Flying Kobold.

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 11:59:06 am »

how would damage for the reverse whip be calculated?

this also brings up other interesting situations. what about a stone giant using a longsword as a mace (holding it by the blade)? what about other weapons used from the wrong end? broken weapons anyone?

granted all this may not be strictly necessary, but it does add to the realism. . .
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz