Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Twitter? Tumblr?  (Read 1252 times)

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Twitter? Tumblr?
« on: November 06, 2009, 05:28:21 am »

Comeon, any of you using that?

My account is... inawarminister.

Yes, my online persona is InaWarMinister.

The reason? Gentlemen, I like war.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Twitter? Tumblr?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 05:51:34 am »

I'm @Dasleah on Twitter and mainly at Tumblr here. Haven't touched either for ages, but I'm certainly going to get back into Twitter at least.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 07:45:04 am »

Yeah, I think I have been following you at the Twitter, Dasleah.

But eh, just met Tumblr TODAY.
Still setting up some things...

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 12:36:57 pm »

Twitter is for twits. It breaks down life into tiny, increasingly trivial snippets until there is nothing interesting left to say. I prefer to stay away from social networking sites.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 01:25:46 am »

Twitter is for twits. It breaks down life into tiny, increasingly trivial snippets until there is nothing interesting left to say. I prefer to stay away from social networking sites.
Hmm... What? @_@

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 10:27:13 am »

Hmm... What? @_@
I personally think twitter is a good thing if you're a completely insecure bore with nothing to do apart from talk about how you enjoyed scratching your behind thirty seconds ago, and how you will enjoy scratching another part of your anatomy some thirty seconds later.
I admit I do have a facebook, but I rarely use it for anything but asking a friend if they want to go out. I certainly don't detail the minutiae of my life.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 03:26:03 pm »

I honestly don't understand the point of twitter as a social networking tool.  You're limited to 140 characters, for one thing.  It's like a blog or something, but heavily restricted.  And prone to having totally unimportant things on it (more so than the worst blogs).  In fact, I'd guess that I already went over 140 characters with this explanation, but I don't have the patience to actually count.  Just what sort of significant thing can be described in so short a span?

Now, describing the progress of something like DF or other video game, I get, but otherwise, 'why' is all I can say.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 04:07:44 pm »

I love Twitter, I really do. Some people do tweet about the most inane shit ever, true. That's why I don't follow them. Receiving messages in Twitter is an entirely opt-in experience - if you don't like someone's tweets, then you just stop following them. And I can't think of the last time someone tweeted something pointless like that outside of being a smartarse. It's rapid fire communication, boiled down to the most base elements. It's not a place where you can flower on about your emotions and opinions - you have 140 characters per tweet, enough for a sentence or two. Everything you say is filtered down to it's most basic and powerful elements, minus bullshit, minus ego. It's pure information.

Hell, that's mostly what I use it for. Information. Even the fastest RSS reader has an hour between updates. Even the fastest news site takes a couple of minutes to get something placeholder up. With Twitter, if I'm interested in something, I find out about it in seconds. I'm connected to the updates, interests and opinions of dozens of creative people, and I can interact with them in seconds. That's good enough for me.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 04:19:53 pm »

I love Twitter, I really do. Some people do tweet about the most inane shit ever, true. That's why I don't follow them. Receiving messages in Twitter is an entirely opt-in experience - if you don't like someone's tweets, then you just stop following them. And I can't think of the last time someone tweeted something pointless like that outside of being a smartarse. It's rapid fire communication, boiled down to the most base elements. It's not a place where you can flower on about your emotions and opinions - you have 140 characters per tweet, enough for a sentence or two. Everything you say is filtered down to it's most basic and powerful elements, minus bullshit, minus ego. It's pure information.

Hell, that's mostly what I use it for. Information. Even the fastest RSS reader has an hour between updates. Even the fastest news site takes a couple of minutes to get something placeholder up. With Twitter, if I'm interested in something, I find out about it in seconds. I'm connected to the updates, interests and opinions of dozens of creative people, and I can interact with them in seconds. That's good enough for me.

People tend to write every single BS on their twitter - like: "Lul gung to aet noa" or even "röfl skratchid mah butt". Why would ANYONE want to know completely unimportant stuff like this? Are you using twitter as some kind of pseudo communication thingy? Again, there's not much possibility to discuss with 140 chars.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2009, 01:22:46 am »

Actually, I'm using twitter to...
Get in touch with IRL friends | Check
Get in touch with fellow otaku | Check
Get in touch with COOL SITES | Check
Using Twitter as a blog  | NO
Using Twitter as my personal diary | NOT CHECKING THIS, GOOD SIRS.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2009, 03:53:31 am »

The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2009, 05:40:28 am »

Actually, I'm using twitter to...
Get in touch with IRL friends | Check
Get in touch with fellow otaku | Check
Get in touch with COOL SITES | Check
Using Twitter as a blog  | NO
Using Twitter as my personal diary | NOT CHECKING THIS, GOOD SIRS.

Fine then.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2009, 12:28:29 pm »

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/498203
Newgrounds, somebodies well-thought out opinion of Facebook/twitter.

Of course, since I don't really give a shit what other people do I might not be the best candidate for twitter or Facebook.