Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d] Farm plots reset terrain too soon  (Read 1072 times)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
[40d] Farm plots reset terrain too soon
« on: September 19, 2009, 10:44:31 pm »

When building a farm plot, all of the floor tiles underneath are cleared of debris (grass and ashes, shrubs and saplings if muddy) and are also reset to their original layer type (underground plants tend to turn muddy stone into soil/sand), just as with paved roads. However, with farm plots, this is happening a bit sooner than it should - it can happen before construction even begins.

In my fortress, I have a 93x47 tower-cap farm which had become overrun with dead shrubs and dead young tower-caps (as well as ashes from a previous attempt to clear the entire farm of mud by using magma), so I placed enough farm plots to fully cover the area, and after a few hundred frames, all of the debris instantly disappeared from underneath the designated-but-not-yet-built farm plots.

This can also be observed with above-ground farm plots: turn off Farming labor on all dwarves, then place a farm plot over an area of grass - after a few seconds, all of the grass will disappear.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 10:59:11 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: [40d] Farm plots reset terrain too soon
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 03:59:03 am »

If it's not a bug, it's certainly unintended behavior.

You can use this to stop fires, even, because all flammable material will be instantly reset to furrowed soil.

Somehow, I don't think the power of designating a location for a farm plot should be able to stop fires.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 11:35:15 am »

Incidentally, when paved roads do this "terrain reset", it happens randomly at some point during its construction, but only after it's been designed and actual construction has begun - presumably, the check for farm plots isn't being done at the right point.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 08:03:38 am »

Somehow, I don't think the power of designating a location for a farm plot should be able to stop fires.

Stockpiles stop fires.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 12:51:59 pm »

Stockpiles stop fires.

Do not. No really, stockpiles don't stop fires anymore. I've had fires burn right through stockpiles.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 03:29:29 pm »

Stockpiles stop fires.

Do not. No really, stockpiles don't stop fires anymore. I've had fires burn right through stockpiles.

My mistake then.