Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Removing constructed floor tile from the correct side  (Read 1603 times)

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Removing constructed floor tile from the correct side
« on: September 18, 2009, 03:51:45 pm »

If I have a series of three tiles like this: +++ and I want to remove the middle tile (d-n) is there anyway I can control which side the dwarf removes it from? I tried a suspended wall but no luck. I don't want to build anything on the left tile and the removal of the middle tile breaks the only access to the left tile so any dwarf caught on the wrong side is stuck there to die.

I tried suspending a wall but that didn't work. My only theory now is to build a 3 tile bridge 1 tile to the north, deconstruct the tile, then raise the bridge and deconstruct it so that the dwarves can't path to the far side. Does anyone have a better/quicker way to do this though.

Code: [Select]
+++ - What I have now

+.+ - What I want to go to
  ^
  |_ Dwarf needs to end up here.

My current plan of action
|=| -Build this
+++

|=|
+.+ - Remove the tile

..| -Raise and deconstruct the bridge
+.+

Johnny Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Removing constructed floor tile from the correct side
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 04:16:59 pm »

I believe you can keep a dorf from standing in a tile after finishing a task by designating a piece of furniture (statue, chair, etc.) to be built on the tile you don't want him to stand on, then suspending it. I know this works for constructing, I am not positive about deconstructing.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 04:50:39 pm »

Do you have one of these classes of migrant:
Soap maker, Miller, Potash Maker, Fish Dissector, Fish Cleaner, Woodcrafter, Bowyer, Lye Maker, Herbalist ?

Make sure everybody else is busy, then make a sacrifice to Armok.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 05:27:44 pm »

Tempting but all my dwarves are super busy! I need them all including the children.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 05:53:57 pm »

The bridge thing should work. You could remove the middle tile and build a one tile bridge in the gap, and I think that would be fine, too.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 06:49:26 pm »

Tempting but all my dwarves are super busy! I need them all including the children.
Don't see a problem, just use a noble.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 10:52:45 pm »

Unless you figure out some trick like the abovementioned, I don't think there's a way to make it work - for mining, engraving, and building/removing constructions, dwarves will ALWAYS prefer to be on the left side of what they're working on if there's a path (even if this means walking a couple hundred squares instead of one, which makes care in choosing a method for exploratory mining a plus). If they can't, they prefer right side, top, bottom, then the diagonals (I forget the order other than it starts with top left and ends with bottom right).
I've never tried the methods involving placing buildings, though.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 11:06:22 pm »

Bridge so far has worked for me but I made the mistake of using retracted bridges so it's more luck than anything at this point.

I think the real key is to have this setup:
Code: [Select]
.++
+++

Then do

.++
+.+

Then
+.+
[code]

The dwarves will walk across the diagonal and it's supported still but they won't deconstruct diagonally if they can help it.

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 11:26:41 pm »

In the future, building a structure then suspending it should work.  Works with walls too but I don't think that'd work in this specific case.  Beds and what not would have though.

Real useful for making sure your dorfs don't end up sealing themselves in.  Learned that the hard way when my dwarf was damming up a magma flow and decided he'd be better off on the side with the magma...
I still don't think I'm crazy enough to play this game properly.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2009, 10:49:40 am »

I know it works for walls and the like but for removing constructions suspending a wall didn't seem to have an effect. The dwarf stood on the suspended wall and removed the floor tile.

Ashmore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2009, 11:16:29 am »

It's an annoying situation. I've used grates for that... remove floor, place grate for stuck dwarf, link grate to lever, drop grate using lever.

Takes about as long as getting an architect to design a bridge, with the difference that Urist McStupid can get out as soon as the grate is hauled and installed.

It leaves a bit of clutter, and I haven't tried if it's possible to reclaim the grate when it is open.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2009, 11:42:06 am »

Well the way I detailed above works pretty well and leaves only a single stone below the removed tiles as debris.