Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stacking walls vs dwarf stupidity  (Read 518 times)

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
Stacking walls vs dwarf stupidity
« on: September 18, 2009, 07:54:59 pm »

Is there any (good) way to keep dwarfs from walling themselves in when building a wall more than 1-high without adding a scaffolding/walkway along the wall?

I know I could build it one tile at a time (or suspend-all and unsuspend like that), but...seriously. A way without multiplying the dwarftime, materials, or realtime?
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Razoric480

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Iced Fire Studio
Re: Stacking walls vs dwarf stupidity
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 09:28:25 pm »

Could have only 1 mason after you set each wall tile one at a time and take advantage of the first-in-last-out mechanism.

But your best bet are a few stairs every 2 tiles

Chewykittens

• Bay Watcher
  • Never befor has the letter "c" been so appetizing
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 09:30:34 pm »

Unfortunately I have no clue. However, if you just want to keep them safe you can use my method, it wastes a ton of stone which is not necessarily a bad thing.

When building walls more than 1-2 levels high I go with a half-pyramid kind of feel.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This keeps the entire surface of the wall that under construction accessible to your workers no matter how dumb they're being. Also if you leave the ramps be, they provide nice spots for your archers to sit ontop of. Again, this method wastes stones like mo-fo so if your gearing up for a mega project, it aint for you.  Also, if you build tall enough, you can have rooms inside the base of your wall.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 10:48:56 pm »

You don't need the stones underneath at all. You can just have a ramp and a wall at each level, and it won't fall.

I'll go with outside walks for n-A VILE FORCE OF DARKNESS HAS ARRIVED  >:(
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets