Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF Biology  (Read 867 times)

CaptApollo12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DF Biology
« on: September 26, 2009, 01:21:24 am »

I have my hands on a textbook of biology  8)

I find the current biology in DF lacking. Don't you?

Please add anything else you can think of:
Food webs. - animal eats animal etc
This brings into question the interaction of different species in their biomes. Not all animals just eat and get eaten by each other.

Carrying Capacity(maximum critter count) designated by the amount of producers(trees and brush) which is dependent on the biome itself. Climatograms http://images.google.ca/images?q=climatograms&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi

Succession. after a fire, small weeds take over, and then more hardier slowly growing plants come etc etc forest if the biome permits.

Population Density - I think this is covered in the raws already.

Competition from other animals, Predation, Parasitism and disease, Drought and other climate extremes. Dwarf-caused/"Intelligent being" distrubances to the environment all contribute to population size.

Environments should be always changing. Populations should adapt to a certain amount of change.

... oooooogh Aquaculture - the raising of aquatic animals for dwarf consumption. tehe?

and simply... evolution! with a lot of this tied in to it all. :)
What are your thoughts?

« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 01:49:03 am by CaptApollo12 »
"MONTARON!  You are so AGGRAVATING!   'Tis disturbing to my demeanor..."

Tenebrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF Biology
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 06:44:52 am »

I agree with you but I'm going to make the pedantic point that the biology in DF is excellent; it's the ecology that's lacking.

I would especially love to see ecology get simulated in worldgen so that the range of species isn't dependent solely on the biome classification. The timescale of worldgen is a bit too short for true evolution, though.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF Biology
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 09:35:48 am »

I agree with you but I'm going to make the pedantic point that the biology in DF is excellent; it's the ecology that's lacking.

I would especially love to see ecology get simulated in worldgen so that the range of species isn't dependent solely on the biome classification. The timescale of worldgen is a bit too short for true evolution, though.
if we have a pre dwarf evolution time that run with the gen that just chanes species within a set peramiters (or you end up with size 32 carp/GCS cross breed)
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG