Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Decency  (Read 643 times)

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Decency
« on: September 24, 2009, 09:40:09 pm »

This quote from an old sysop promotion vote on The Urban Dead Wiki (you know, the wiki for the MMORPG known as Urban Dead), jumped out at me.

After discussion with SA, we've decided to promote Bob.

Basically, he's got the experience few of us can claim, he doesn't bend to what others want, and although he may be a bastard sometimes, he's an honest bastard (and if we're judging sysops on basis of civility, then we might as well demote the whole team.) Of course, Bob should keep his trolling separate from any sysop actions he does - but the rest of us manages that fine. Linkthewindow  Talk  01:07, 21 June 2009 (BST)

More to the point, am I the only person that watches this sort of drama? I don't even play Urban Dead, but I still read the wiki for the drama (the constant battle between Wiki users for the right to control the levers of power on the wiki and thereby mold the wiki into their image), and especially the personal attacks that occur during the drama, when the competition gets heated.

I find the drama very interesting and compelling, although at the same time, I know that drama is counter-productive in the long term. It causes hurt feelings, it wastes valuable time, and it makes people forget the whole purpose of the Internet: Convey information. Not convey personal attacks or assume political power.

What concerns me the most is the whole culture on Urban Dead Wiki that tolerates personal attacks. Not that it's bad or anything, in the end, the sysops are not moderators, they are merely the janitors who make the wiki clean. But I am just afraid that personal attacks could fuel the flames, as it is, and make a place more...um...hostile.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 09:44:52 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Decency
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 09:55:23 pm »

Hee hee.  No drama like UD wiki drama.  So no, you aren't the only one.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 09:57:32 pm by Karlito »
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Wooty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Decency
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 10:01:11 pm »

---
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 05:45:52 am by Wooty »
Quote from: Toady One
It's important to wear lots of face paint while you program. And you can type with your long Gene Simmons tongue.